Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As I was pulling away from my drive this morning, I noticed there was a "clunk" noise whenever I turned the steering wheel.
The noise appears to be coming from the vicinity of the passenger side front wheel (as best I can tell while sat inside the car), the wheels turn OK, but it sounds as though something is stuck/seized up. I have not driven the car any more as I don't want to risk damaging anything, so I parked the car back up on the drive again.
From the small amount of steering I did, the steering itself felt to be functioning OK, although without going for a proper drive, I can't tell for sure.
I've had a quick check under the car and there is nothing obviously wrong (nothing hanging off!) but I'm not a mechanic so I don't know what to look for in more detail.
Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of the noise?
Is it safe to drive?

The car was last driven 4 days ago without any problems/noise at all.

Peugeot 307 - HDI - 2007 - 90,000 miles

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I've got a 52 plate 307 2.0 hdi, and I've had the same issue - for me it was the wheel arch liner clunking against the drive shaft adjacent to the wheel. It was noticeable when going over small holes and bumps in the road, rather than turning. My issue was due to the age of the car - the retaining clips have become worn and no longer provide a decent hold of the plastic parts, so it's a case of trimming back the liner to stop it knocking.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Possibilities are in my opinion:
1) steering rack - but would expect it in both directions
2) track rod end
3) drop link
4) anti roll bar bushes
5) bottom ball joint
6) top bearing suspension leg
Or as said above catching on something

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the prompt responses guys.

I got a friend to check it with me and he couldn't hear any sound at all from outside the car, so the sound is only noticeable from the inside.

It doesn't appear to be the wheel arch cover, I've lifted the car up and had a look underneath and nothing is noticeably out of place.

So it is likely to be one of the suggestions Johnbrander made.

I made a video of the problem happening, hopefully this will make it easier to diagnose. It was made while moving my car around on my graveled driveway.
https://youtu.be/4LTWOaW_a-o

I have the car booked in for a service next week, so hopefully whatever it is can be fixed then. I would like to be able to use the car in the meantime though!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Seen/heard the vid. I'm going for a suspension leg top bearing or now that I've heard it maybe a broken spring.
Let us know please

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seen/heard the vid. I'm going for a suspension leg top bearing or now that I've heard it maybe a broken spring.
Let us know please
Thanks for the info, I shall indeed let you know the results.
In your opinion, is it ok to drive for the next few days, if that is indeed the problem?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let us know please
You were right, it was in fact TWO broken front suspension springs! One had been broken a while (it was all rusty at the point of breakage) but had not been making any noise, and the passenger side was a fresh break and the one that had been making the noise.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Glad you found out what the problem was :thumb:, have they sorted it yet? If not I would put new top suspension bearings in at the same time as the leg obviously has to be dismantled - they don't cost a lot (just bought 1 for the other side on my 206cc and only cost about £5.00)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea the work has all been done and I'm back home now, hopefully the current bearings will last a while longer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts