Peugeot Forums banner

Clunk/knocking noise from offside front on peugeot 206

57K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  winborneadrian 
#1 ·
Hi for the past 2-3 months I have noticed a clunking noise which seems to come from the drivers side front. It has gradually got worse so 2 weeks ago i took it to a garage who couldn't find anything, but warned me i needed a new nearside driveshaft which would not be cheap (I did this for £37 off ebay and a friend of mine fitted it). Needless to say this didn't stop the knocking so today I took it to a different garage as I needed a new battery from them any way, got them to have a look on the ramp and they couldn't find anything either.

It cluncks when going over bumps or accelerating or breaking or if i turn sharply (not at speed), but not all the time. I'm now beginning to worry that something drastic could go wrong.

The car is a 2000 206 1.6GLX 8 Valve Petrol.

Also I am finding it harder to change gear probably 1 in every 5 gear changes now the driveshaft has been changed. Most times it goes straight in, but sometimes needs a little more force, but does not grind. Most of these times are changing down gears and mainly 2nd or 3rd gear.

Any help or info really welcomed.

#2 ·
not sure exactly . but my 206 hdi had wierd clunky noises when i bought it coming from the front and really bad when going over bumpy roads. I took it in for MOT not long after, it failed on a few bits which my garage fixed and its not made any clunky sounds like this since. My MOT fails were - the Anti Roll linkage and The Left Side suspension arm has some play in it . It was either one of these.

#5 · (Edited)
See trem1's drop link replacement thread, look in search box, contains step by step instructions complete with pic's, its awsome.
Could also be anti roll bar clamps

PS jack the car up and check if there's play when you rock the wheel with one hand top of wheel and one at the bottom, it may be bottom or top ball joints

#7 ·
Hi,I have a Peugeot 206 1.6 16V Roland Garros with the same symptoms as yourself.

One way to check or narrow down the noise is to to lock the steering over to one side and get another person to jolt the steering over and over whilst you take a look, or even to apply the handbrake and rock the car on the Bite Point.

The reason I say this is that I had the liberty of having a 2 Post MOT Inspection Ramp available to me and discovered that the 'Knocking' Noise was coming from excessive Play in the Bottom Rear Engine Mount.

Hope this Info Helps.

#8 ·
knocking noise when I dry steer

Hi just wondering if any one can help me my 2001 206 glx has started making a loud knocking noise when im travelling at 15mph or less it only hhappens when turning the wheel hard to the left or to the right . Its not the cv's or the drive shafts can anyone help me ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.