Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit complex so bear with me on this one. I'm not sure if it's even a fault, but I'm asking in case it is. Basically, when applying throttle after having been coasting, there is a noticeable "jerk" as the engine kicks in. It's not noticeably audible as a clunk from within the cabin. I wondered if this might be an engine mount going?

·
Registered
70 Posts
seems similar to a problem i have at the moment, do you have it when coming off the gas too? I also suspect engine mount as i found play in the rear lower moment, at times it feels like the front wheels are going to fall off due to the drive shafts running through the mount, not a good design imo.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My 406HDI was doing this recently, was the mounting under the motor that the driveshaft goes through. It was quite tatty... Replaced it and no more jerk.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you literally feel play in it when it's gone? I'll have a mosey under the car when the weather warms up a little bit. Whereabouts is it?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The 307 has a similar mounting to the 406. It is round with 2 rubber 'wings attaching the centre bush to the outer mounting part. In mine the 'wings' were almost severed. Easy to see. Also could move the bottom of the motor front/rear quite easily by hand.

Look at the rhs driveshaft, it goes through the engine->chassis mounting unit, that is where you will find the rubber mount.

Have looked up a 307HDi on servicebox and the listing for the 307 equivalent bush to the 406 is 1809 21, but you will need to check your particular model to confirm if this will suit yours.

·
Registered
70 Posts
On the 307 it's on the back lower left hand side of the engine as your looking into the engine bay. You will have to jack the car up and put on axle stands to get under and give it a good firm shake to check for play in all directions.
If it is bad enough stand outside the engine bay and have someone rev the engine and you can see the movement in the engine when coming of the gas and re-applying.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
With worn mounts you should also notice more juddering if you try to apply power at low revs i.e., when you really ought to change down a gear. Alhtough you might not notice as it will have got worse over a long period of time.

Also, the engine will wobble a lot when you turn it off.

If you grab the top of the engine and try (quite hard) to rock it backwards and forwards then if it moves much at all then the mounts are worn.

The only other thing that springs to mind is whether the EGR and throttle butterfly aren't closing resp. openning promptly enough.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It look a lot easier to invest in the powerlex bush that comes in two halfs, instead of pulling the driveshaft and the whole mount off.

Think theyre £35

·
Registered
70 Posts
They do seem a lot easier to fit to be honest, i have just got 2 normal engine mounts off amazon for my 307 due to having a voucher to use up which is the rear lower and gear box top mount. I plan to fit these in situe without taking the driveshafts out, i'll update as to how difficult it is. I believe it can be done by drilling through the rubber in the rear mount and then inserting a hacksaw blade and cutting through the outer shell of the bush. Clean and oil the shaft then press in the new bush hopefully.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Having tackled this job recently, I can say that, trying to remove the bush with the mount in situ, without the proper tool to press/pull the bush out, would be a very trying job!

I also HATE poly bushes for engine/gearbox mounts in any road car (but especially in a diesel motored one), as they just transmit an incredible amount of vibration/harshness into the car from the diesel engine, which, by its very nature, is not a smooth running motor.

Taking the mount out involves removing the driveshaft, not a big job overall, then you can remove the bush on a bench instead of trying to saw it loose while cramped under your car in the (now) northern hemisphere soggy winter.. (it is toasty warm here downunder right now :p)

I have 2post hoist in my shed now, did my time crawling under cars at home in soggy wet cold weather and had enough of doing so about 12 years ago, so invested in the best tool purchase I have EVER made in the 50+ years I have been tinkering with things automotive...:cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Having tackled this job recently, I can say that, trying to remove the bush with the mount in situ, without the proper tool to press/pull the bush out, would be a very trying job!

I also HATE poly bushes for engine/gearbox mounts in any road car (but especially in a diesel motored one), as they just transmit an incredible amount of vibration/harshness into the car from the diesel engine, which, by its very nature, is not a smooth running motor.

Taking the mount out involves removing the driveshaft, not a big job overall, then you can remove the bush on a bench instead of trying to saw it loose while cramped under your car in the (now) northern hemisphere soggy winter.. (it is toasty warm here downunder right now :p)

I have 2post hoist in my shed now, did my time crawling under cars at home in soggy wet cold weather and had enough of doing so about 12 years ago, so invested in the best tool purchase I have EVER made in the 50+ years I have been tinkering with things automotive...:cool:
When you removed the driveshaft from the mount, did it come free from it easily? In the past when i have tried to pull shafts out of intermediate bearings and mounts (Vito, Saxo) they have been rusted in place or a nightmare to free.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not had any issue with that part to date. Had one where it was a bit of a struggle getting the shaft to free from the wheel hub, but, as they say, 'bigger the problem, bigger the hammer!':lol:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for input all!

I do have some clutch judder which I had begun to suspect was the DMF beginning to die (it's 140,000 miles old). However, the other symptoms and what you describe suggests it may well be the engine mount. At idle with the bonnet open I've noticed the engine shakes more than it should (but it's not really noticeable from in the cabin).

At low revs under load it does indeed vibrate a bit but then smooth the rest of the range up to about 2700RPM when it gets a bit harsh!

Also noticed that higher electrical load (at night with lights + heated stuff on) and with aircon on, vibration in car is more noticeable.

I have noticed recently when the engine is very cold (ie right after starting), that at low revs in second gear the car kind of surges. Not sure if related, but thought I'd trying sticking an EGR cleaner in the next tank as it's been subjected to a reasonable amount of stop/start lately.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts