Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had an abs fault when i brought my car. fixed it but had bad warped discs and shaking in the steering

car was veering badly to the left.

swapped front wheels over. no noticable wear other then normal.

veering has now gone

changed front brake discs and pads. sprayed brake cleaner. was able to push in the pistons so assume there fine. cleaned up front abs sensors and hubs.
replaced all the brake fluid.

put copper slip on the back of the pads. there seems to be a anti squeal plate that isnt very tight

the brakes feel fantastic. no shaking no veering.

i seem to be getting a slight clonk. sometimes it does it in reverse too.

im thinking of a cv joint or something similar what normally goes on these? i have mot next month will they pickup on this seeing as though its only just started

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it seems to be the brakes. its mainly when going in reverse.
dont seem to be any clonking on steering lock.
maybe its just the new pads and meaty discs. brakes dont bind and they feel really good so ill just keep an eye on it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Monty

Im very interested to your shaking steering and veering to the left! So you switched front any rear wheels over? Back to front? I cant understand how this would stop veering to the left, maybe shaking, yes... but Ive got exactly the same issue and Ive paid about £400 for my local garage to fix it, which they HAVENT done!

I may just give mine a go too... perhaps this is slightly more common than I first thought as I read at least 1 other post about someone who had to do this! I just posted about it too...

.. as for your "clonk", Id say perhaps a loose hub/driveshaft possibly, coincidence that the wheels have been swapped and sorted 1 problem out though, maybe? Is it when you move off in reverse or just put the car into reverse?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Monty

Im very interested to your shaking steering and veering to the left! So you switched front any rear wheels over? Back to front? I cant understand how this would stop veering to the left, maybe shaking, yes... but Ive got exactly the same issue and Ive paid about £400 for my local garage to fix it, which they HAVENT done!

I may just give mine a go too... perhaps this is slightly more common than I first thought as I read at least 1 other post about someone who had to do this! I just posted about it too...

.. as for your "clonk", Id say perhaps a loose hub/driveshaft possibly, coincidence that the wheels have been swapped and sorted 1 problem out though, maybe? Is it when you move off in reverse or just put the car into reverse?
Veering can be caused by uneven wear, or tyre mismatch due to a difference in rolling resistance, chances are if you shift the rubber around you'll solve the problem... until it starts to wear uneven again. Any veering off, wobble etc should be attacked with an alignment check and a balance and THEN start looking at the rubber if it doesn't solve it.

@Monty; what are the circumstances of the 'clunk'? can you reproduce the noise when moving forward, and back? Will it do it under braking only? Or just when pulling away etc?

Reason I ask is that I've seen that sort of thing caused by the pads being loose in the caliper cage, and or play in the caliper itself.

Regards,

Phil

·
Registered
63 Posts
Phil

thanks for your input. im taking my 307 to the stealer today in 30 mins. ive told them i wasnt happy that they diagnosed it was a rack failure and made me pay 300 notes to fix it, but didnt and evidently didnt road test it. they say they did tracking a geo check before. im hoping the wheel swap will do the job, if not, ive got 2 other pairs of wheels i can try. if it fixes it ill persue a refund for the misdoagnosis...

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just swapped the front wheels over only.

it only clonks when i pull away. mainly in reverse.

the front disc and pads are new so i doubt they would rattle. it happens just after i have come to a stop

1 - 6 of 6 Posts