Peugeot Forums banner

Clear codes before MOT

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  20200213 
#1 · (Edited)
So further to this thread I am tempted to buy a friend's 58 reg 308 1.6 petrol (120), it drives fine but she didn't want the hassle of dealing with faults listed in my other thread and let the MOT expire. She is happy to sell it for the money the scrapmen offered.

For the record, I'm starting a new thread because the question I am now facing is pretty different to the original one.
I came across this thread where user steve-5snwi suggested "book the car in for an MOT, clear it in the carpark and pray it doesn't come on while being tested."
The questions I have:

1. I tried clearing the codes (p0053 p0014 p0599 p2626) with torque lite using a cheap eBay obd reader and it didn't seem to work. Is it a matter of getting a £20 reader from Halfords, can it only be done with Peugeot Planet (or Lexia etc)?

2. I had a quick look at the meaning of these codes but can't really see whether they are the sort that you can "clear for a bit". Or are they all the sort that will return immediately anyway?

3. If I buy it I'm taking it to a trusted, independent but reasonably reputable garage to see how much is wrong with it and whether it's worth restoring to use and doing an MOT. They do also do MOTs. Is it totally outrageous and criminal to ask the mechanic to try the trick with clearing the codes? Or is it something that's routinely attempted anyway?

This will be (effectively) the first time I buy a car after being lucky to only drive my company car for 9 years so I'm new to the game, I'm sorry if they are stupid questions.

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Planet.

#3 · (Edited)
You cannot clear any permanent faults so if the issue NEEDS fixed it needs fixed only temporary codes will clear permanent faults only clear once fault is fixed.
Having said that there is MUCH more to diagnostics than simply reading codes if the codes relate to a DPF issue then the fluid may need replenished but refilling is not enough the counters need reset this is NOT the same as clearing the codes it must be reset properly or it will still come back there is a lot to consider and if you are not able to do the work yourself it may be too expensive to sort out .

In your case i believe you have more than 1 issue 1 is a timing issue other is a mixture/lambda issue they could well both be caused by a common thing you would need to see the actual live readings for the lambda etc which cheap readers cannot do generally.

#4 ·
Thank you both for your responses. I have to admit I did fail to read the FAQ before Gibbo drew my attention to it above, and until I read it I didn't really appreciate what an enthusiastic community you've got here.

Anyway, I made an MOT appointment at a garage which does MOTs, bought it on Sunday and took it straight to the garage (using the rules about driving to an MOT appointment). The mechanic had a quick look and confirmed it's not just a matter of clearing the codes. He allowed me to leave it in his car park until I decide what to do. I popped it on gumtree today, a trader got in touch and bought it for effectively the same as I paid. I was a Peugeot owner for five days - it's been emotional.

Thank you guys once again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.