Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not specifically 3008 related as such but made the mistake of sitting in ours for Christmas day visiting in my new wax jacket.

When I got in car next morning noticed shiny patches all over vinyl portions of seat, assuming residue also on fabric but not visible. Patches do not rub off vinyl as per initial attempts with a soft cloth.

Am going to use AG interior shampoo today but before I do this anyone with experience of wax jackets and removal of their residues on automotive vinyl/pleather seats and/or upholstery?

Suffice to say jacket will be coming off and placed in boot before getting in car again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Couple of suggestions. 1. Heat the wax deposits up gently with a hairdryer and then wipe off while the wax is still soft. Continue doing this until as much as possible has been removed, then use a damp cloth soaked in hot water to remove anything left. 2. Place a bit of paper on the wax marks, and then a hot water bottle on top of the paper. Leave it a couple of minutes to soften the wax, and then wipe away with the paper. Continue doing it until as much as possible has been removed, but don't use the same piece of paper (or same part of the paper) on different areas or it will re-deposit wax on the seat again. Then use the damp "hot" cloth to remove any residue. New Wax jackets can be a real pain, but this worked on my leather sofas when my father in law kindly left them covered in wax from his coat.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Depending on how much wax i might try ice in a plastic bag if you can get the wax “hard” you may with a blunt object scrape the wax off. Perhaps something like a credit card

Good luck

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yes ice and a blunt scraper should also work. I've used that on leather/vinyl with bubble gum stuck to it. You can also buy aerosol "freeze" sprays although not sure whether the very low temperature might mark the upholstery.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys was going to try the 'warming & absorbing' approach if a detergent clean didn't work. Don't think there is enough material/substance in these patches to physically scrape off even if cooled down.

I believe Gliptone also do a heavy duty leather cleaner for oil and grease removal but as this is potentially some kind of solvent it would be one for a patch test somewhere obscure first.

May also drop a line to the jacket manufacturer and see if any advice forthcoming. Can't be the first time their box fresh jackets have transferred material to another surface...

I'll report back how I get on and the methodology, you never know it might be straightforward ;)

Reactions: border_all
1 - 5 of 5 Posts