Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I have to change the oil of my car these days and I need some help. I know this subject is very controversial, but this caused me to be more confused. So, to begin with some details, my car has approx. 300 K kilometers, most of them traveled on the highways. The engine is a 1.6 HDI, 109 HP version. The climate in my country in a year is 50/50 - a half of the year cold, another half hot (from -20 degrees to 38 degrees).
My previous car owner has used Total Quartz 9000 (5W40), which is mentioned in the service manual as well. Now, the issue is that the car has a particulate filter (DPF). On the official description of the Total 9000, it's specified very clearly that it is not intended for a car with DPF. Most of the people recommends to use Total Ineo ECS (5W30 - viscosity recommended by the manufacturer). I had a look also on a maintenance book (from Haynes) and here the recommended oils are between 5W30 and 10W40 for this car, especially the Total 9000. Do you think it is ok to use a 5W30 at this mileage? Or it is ok to use a thicker oil but which is not destinated for DPF health? A thicker oil could be a problem for the turbo? Please let me know

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You must use a low SAPS oil because otherwise ash produced by combustion will block the DPF.

As you say the handbook recommends Total Quartz Ineo ECS which meets specification ACEA C2; any other oil that meets ACEA C2 can be substituted.

I can't see a compelling reason to change the viscosity unless your climate is either very hot or very cold.

The other suggestion I've heard if your oil is very mucky (e.g., it's been having 20k changes) is to use a lorry oil because they have better detergents.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
And 300km = 186k miles which is nowt. (Same as my 407 actaully, and that gets only Total Quartz Ineo ECS 5w30. Had been doing it at 6k (10k km) but since I blanked the EGR it's started staying a bit cleaner so I've gone up to 10k (16k km)).

Isn't 1,000km a megametre?
Shaln't be having any of that come next March. :nono:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies. I've considered the 5W-40 just because on the summer days the oil tends to become very thin. I'm thinking that a thin layer of oil in combination with a worn engine could cause more "free" room between the engine components and could cause premature damage. A thicker oil could fill those gaps, but could cause problems to lubricate the cam shafts, turbine and other upper components.

·
5,044 Posts
We have a 2.2 hdi 407 in our family at 250k miles (400k km) running on standard oil and that engine is still sweet. Uses no oil etc and pulls like a train

Sent from my Lenovo TB-7304F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
829 Posts
"from -20 degrees to 38 degrees"

That is a big difference in temperature!! How many days or weeks are you driving around in 38degree weather though? Could you possibly not stress the engine out as much when its above 35c?

Ideal oil would be Total Ineo ECS 5W30.... but if driving in prolonged and sustained 38c weather, then you would be better off with a 5W40 engine oil... but it would have to be C2 level. That oil is more expensive though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"from -20 degrees to 38 degrees"

That is a big difference in temperature!! How many days or weeks are you driving around in 38degree weather though? Could you possibly not stress the engine out as much when its above 35c?

Ideal oil would be Total Ineo ECS 5W30.... but if driving in prolonged and sustained 38c weather, then you would be better off with a 5W40 engine oil... but it would have to be C2 level. That oil is more expensive though.
Of course, what I've described here was the extreme temperatures. Usually, I don't like to stress the engine in very hot days. Mostly, in the summer days I drive the car below 35 degrees Celsius. In the winter, I had some days where I used to drive it at -20 or -18 degrees, but just a few days.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Total Ineo ECS 5W30 will be just fine in that case :thumb: There's a temperature oil gauge, outside temperature doesn't matter much because the car is able to cool the oil down somewhat. If you see the oil temp climbing up, that's when you need to be concerned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts