Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a strange breakdown and a big bill as a result....
I was passing a truck when i appeared to lose power, managed to get to the near side and got out to have a look, The car was still running but appearing to be missing. It was still running but down on power, I had to move i wasn't safe, it then seemed to clear and ran ok for a mile or so and then lost power again, Rac came and said the turbo had collapsed inside the housing & no exhaust gases could escape..hence the bad running!!! once switched off it would'nt restart and was towed to a local garage. initially they thought the fuel pump had gone, on further inspection they checked the timing belt and found it intact but damaged.. It appears that the fan belt had split into 2 halves, one remained on the pulleys whilst the other had wrapped around the bottom crank and caused the pulley to seize for a split second. this smashed the woodruf key on the pulley and the timing slipped. the pistons met the valves and the rest is as you would expect.... except the pistons only smashed in two of the cylinders and this allowed the car to still run on 2 cylinders. The only replacement needed was crankshaft pulley, timing belt and tensioner and 8 new followers, the mechanic said that only 4 followers were knackered but he said to replace all eight just in case. The car is now running great with no ill effects.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Same thing happened on an old 306 of mine £500 for second hand engine ,i always check belts because alot of people forget about them thinking they can`t do much damage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts