Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long should it take to change a timing belt and water pump on a partner van? kit is a £100 for a gates kit, fitter want £80 cash in hand to do it,

·
Registered
901 Posts
That's a cheep job,what ever the engine your partner has.A reputable garage would charge at least three hours labour (£50-£60 an hour) plus VAT.
Gates is a top quality name,£100 about right.
Trouble is,the fitter? If it's cash in hand he is doing it for pocket money. Is he any good? If the job went wrong would you have any come back?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bought the van with no service history and its done 114000 miles so don't want to push my luck don't know if its had a herd life or not so better to be safe then sorry, local parts shop wanted 140 quid for the same parts

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You dont say what engine but that does seem cheap for the fitting if its a 2 litre or non turbo engine then fine its not a long job but 1.6 is more time consuming its not any harder just takes longer due to extra stuff to remove

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
If it's mates rates and you trust him then go for it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I wouldn't get too worked up over changing the water pump, my wife's 2.0 hdi 307 is still on the pump it left the factory with at 252k miles....
Most garages recommend changing it because it means extra profit.

Roger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts