Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
my chain started to rattle at cold starts in the morning so I think its time to change the tensioner.
I have the spare part but before starting fiddling I wanted to look for some guide or suggestions about how to reach it. Do I change it directly or its needed to lock the chain?

Many thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
mixed opinion, the book says to remove the tensioner and measure with the special tool before locking up (vti non turbo engine) which would indicate its fine to do.
i have done it twice with advice from the bmw mini forum and had no problems, but if in doubt remove the cam cover and hook/tie the chain tight.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
I also have this in the Haynes..it shouldn't create any problem because the sprockets are locked to each other...not sure tho..

·
Registered
870 Posts
the sprockets are not locked (other than the top guide) but i did notice that even without a tensioner in the whole chain is pretty tight, would only cause a problem if the chain was mega stretched as far as i could see.

just remember to turn it over BY HAND before starting

if in doubt just remove the cam cover, at least you can check the condition of chain, and make sure cams are level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts