Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all, I have a 407sw from 2008. The car was serviced recently and the mechanic replaced the front brake pads and discs. A week later the abs and esp starts flashing at me. I took it back to the mechanic and he said I needed a sensor changed and it'd be €200 to do it.
After some online research, someone said it could be the gap between the disc and sensor, or dirt on the sensor. I need to change to summer tyres soon anyway and this virus has taken my job so I have time.
Should I change it myself, or just clean it up? If I change it, should I change the other one at the same time? Or should I take some photos and show the mechanic why he should fix it for free?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Can't help you with it much but leave you with this piece of information, 2008 was the changeover year between two different ABS versions, Bosch 8.0 > 8.1. These two systems use different sensors. So make sure you know which one your car has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, It seems very likely that the mechanic may have disturbed the ABS wire or sensor when changing the discs and pads, it can be a common occurrence. If it was just dirt on the sensor, It would have come up before the service work as serious dirt buildup takes time to accumulate. Approach it from a friendly standpoint (sooner rather than later) without doing any work yourself first, the mechanic should offer some help - if not, then its not an incredibly difficult job to manage yourself, and it's time to find a new mechanic. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
284 Posts
As mentioned, he could of broken wire, damaged reluctor ring, dirt or rust got in between sensor and reluctor confusing the air gap or even blocking it from counting teeth. Or indeed EPS system has coincidently gone its a common issue on these usually the yaw rate sensor. Diagnostics will allow you to access the abs/eps system individually and it will tell you in black n white if it is a faulty abs/wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 2 407s the pad wear indicator wires have been cut off of both cars
(not by me) but all has worked fine for years?
the new pads i buy dont even have these cables.

abs/esp in my experiance can be 3 things.
abs sensor on wheel hub not exactly cheep but fairly easy to replace.
abs ring.. this is a magnetic ring glued to the wheel bearing that the abs sensor needs to function. its a cheep thing that you can only get by buying a brand new expensive wheelbearing.
changing a sensor wont do a thing if the magnetic abs ring is the problem (so check it for damage like chips in the otherwise smooth flat surface) and the wheeel bearing requires sockets/clamps that normal people wont have. plus allot of swearing and in my case an angle grinder.
theres also a sensor in the stearing wheel.... that on my car iv had to muck about with 3 times now and requires a laptop plus peugeots software to calibrate.

I hope yours is the first problem
goodluck

·
Registered
27 Posts
"If I change it, should I change the other one at the same time?|"

its an.. "if it aint broke dont fix it" type deal

its not a serviceable part. I.E it dosnt have a life span of x-many miles or x-many years it ither works or dose not :)

from memory it only has 2 wires and is a stand alone sensor. soo cutting the other 3 sensors off of the car wont affect the one your looking to fix.

as far as im aware the only way abs sensors and rings go wrong is if you pick up a rock that damages it.
i suppose driving through thick mud or a build up of metal filings (from break dust) wouldnt help with it being a magnetic sensor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"A week later" Yea not the mechanics fault. He probably did you a steller job of your discs and pads. If you left the place with the abs/esp screaming at you then maybe he messed up... but a week later?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts