Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I changed an injector seal, now the car cranks but won't start. I think it may be because I can't properly prime it using the bulb as the little seal from the leak off connector is damaged and not sealing properly so probably sucking air in. Peugeot Planet shows 0 bars of pressure in the pump when I crank. Those little o-rings are not easy to acquire, generic ones I've found won't fit so I ordered some on eBay but the estimated arrival date is 17 Nov to 7 Dec (UK to Australia).

I read somewhere that the bosch common rail is "self priming" and that all the bulb does is reduce the time cranking the engine to fill the pipes. Anyone know if this is true? I've been afraid to crank the engine excessively

Only codes are P1351 which is glow plugs I think and something about maximum number of aborted generations reached for the DPF (which I drilled holes through).

I guess the timing belt is something to check, though I put a new Gates belt kit in earlier this year.

Perhaps I can try to gravity feed diesel to the system and see if it starts? Or just keep cranking? I guess I should crack open an injector connector to see if fuel is actually being pumped through, could be a fuel pressure sensor or connection to the ECU and just a coincidence that it happened right at this moment?

I really love this car, I've been trying to get it in perfect shape, I got a slide hammer injector puller kit (Sealey VS2049) and seat cutter for this job. I did one injector and it started no problems. A few days later I did another injector and now it won't start. I think it was sometime in between that the o-ring got damaged.

Luckily my girlfriend is away and I can use her car, but I'd like to get the car running before my o-rings arrive next month, any suggestions anyone?

Steven
Gold Coast, Australia

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Hi all,

I changed an injector seal, now the car cranks but won't start. I think it may be because I can't properly prime it using the bulb as the little seal from the leak off connector is damaged and not sealing properly so probably sucking air in. Peugeot Planet shows 0 bars of pressure in the pump when I crank. Those little o-rings are not easy to acquire, generic ones I've found won't fit so I ordered some on eBay but the estimated arrival date is 17 Nov to 7 Dec (UK to Australia).

I read somewhere that the bosch common rail is "self priming" and that all the bulb does is reduce the time cranking the engine to fill the pipes. Anyone know if this is true? I've been afraid to crank the engine excessively

Only codes are P1351 which is glow plugs I think and something about maximum number of aborted generations reached for the DPF (which I drilled holes through).

I guess the timing belt is something to check, though I put a new Gates belt kit in earlier this year.

Perhaps I can try to gravity feed diesel to the system and see if it starts? Or just keep cranking? I guess I should crack open an injector connector to see if fuel is actually being pumped through, could be a fuel pressure sensor or connection to the ECU and just a coincidence that it happened right at this moment?

I really love this car, I've been trying to get it in perfect shape, I got a slide hammer injector puller kit (Sealey VS2049) and seat cutter for this job. I did one injector and it started no problems. A few days later I did another injector and now it won't start. I think it was sometime in between that the o-ring got damaged.

Luckily my girlfriend is away and I can use her car, but I'd like to get the car running before my o-rings arrive next month, any suggestions anyone?

Steven
Gold Coast, Australia
if you have a priming bulb it is not self priming and if you have a leak then yes that will stop it staring, try clamp the leak off pipe and prime then start

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you have a priming bulb it is not self priming and if you have a leak then yes that will stop it staring, try clamp the leak off pipe and prime then start
That's a good idea, I'll try that tomorrow. A question though, if I clamp the leak off pipe will it still not suck air from the other direction, suction coming from the injector pipe and injector, or is there some kind of one way valve in the injector?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disconnected and blocked off the hose from the leak off connector and pumped the priming bulb, I hear fuel flowing and when it feels like there's no more air, I reconnect and try to start but still I get 0 bars of pressure on Peugeot Planet and no start.

Could a damaged injector cause this? I had to remove the top of the injector to get it out, I'm worried I may have caused internal damage somehow, but would that explain the no start situation?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm, maybe I just need to keep cranking it, if my priming did it's job it only filled two of the injector pipes, the other two will still have air. My only concern is the zero reading on the fuel pressure, wouldn't there be something measurable?

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
If you have zero pressure then something else is wrong

List the live parameter readings here for

cam and crank sync
fuel pressure
cranking speed

These 3 are all that's needed for starting to be attempted providing the ecu is unlocked it should read something on all 3

read the BSI parameters to see if key is being recognised

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have zero pressure then something else is wrong

List the live parameter readings here for

cam and crank sync
fuel pressure
cranking speed

These 3 are all that's needed for starting to be attempted providing the ecu is unlocked it should read something on all 3

read the BSI parameters to see if key is being recognised

I'm thinking since it still has air in the system it might just need a little extra cranking to get the air out, perhaps it'll show zero pressure while it's doing that? I gave it a few cranks and I "think" it might possibly have even fired for a split second but then the battery started to get low. I've got it charging now. I wasn't watching the parameters that last try, so not sure if the pressure went up.

I'll give it a try in the morning, and check those other things you mentioned. I did see that the ecu is unlocked, I'll have to see if I can find anything in PP about the key, but I've tried the spare key too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"start ya bastard" - never heard of this, great name, might try it, although I just read this (posted on this site by BennyBall):

----------
On the subject of the dreaded "Ether Easystart" use this stuff sparingly, because it washes down the lubrication on the cylinder walls and dramatically accelerates wear in the bores and piston rings, on cold start, eventually because of loss of compression, essential on a diesel, the engine won't start without the Easystart, and becomes what is known in the trade as an Easystart addict!
----------

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
Yes it does have to be used sparingly BUT they do not become addicted to it !!

Any engine that needs easy start every time has other problems which were the real reason for the easy start in the first place !

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I disconnected and blocked off the hose from the leak off connector and pumped the priming bulb, I hear fuel flowing and when it feels like there's no more air, I reconnect and try to start but still I get 0 bars of pressure on Peugeot Planet and no start.

Could a damaged injector cause this? I had to remove the top of the injector to get it out, I'm worried I may have caused internal damage somehow, but would that explain the no start situation?
make sure all the high pressure lines are tightened up properly as that could cause this

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got me thinking here.....

Have you checked the cam/crank syncro in pp2000?
Have had this before with the little locking pin to the cam pulley breaking.

You should be able to disconnect the rail pressure sensor and get it fired up if it´s in sync with cam and crank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, got the battery charged and checked for cam/crank synchro (yes, visually checked that the timing belt is turning too), given it some cranking and finally seen some fuel pressure, 8 then 16 then 24, but must give the starter a rest. It apparently needs a LOT of cranking to get the air out of the pipes, maybe the start ya bastard can speed that up?

Will keep trying shortly

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No luck! It goes to 16 bar, occasionally 24 but won't go higher.

I'm thinking my injector may be stuffed internally and is not holding pressure, might try to do a leak off test while cranking to test that theory.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
No luck! It goes to 16 bar, occasionally 24 but won't go higher.

I'm thinking my injector may be stuffed internally and is not holding pressure, might try to do a leak off test while cranking to test that theory.
try the easy start in the air intake, have you got enough fuel in the tank and are you sure the fuel gauge is working

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
try the easy start in the air intake, have you got enough fuel in the tank and are you sure the fuel gauge is working
Yes, fuel situation is fine, almost half a tank, 700km since fill up, usually get close to 1000.

Easy start is basically used so you can get extended cranking times without putting strain on the starter, is that right? So towing in gear would accomplish that too?

I'm going to see if any fuel is coming out the leak offs first. If the injectors aren't firing there shouldn't be even a drop coming out, is that right?

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
Injectors will NOT FIRE till 120 bar pressure is reached so opening leakoffs will tell you nothing

They will leak back some though even if not firing

A tow will do the same as easy start BUT you need to be sure the pump is full of fuel as towing a dry pump can wreck it internally.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm pretty sure I've solved it, the injector I was working on passes the fuel straight through, I got a LOT of fuel out the leak off just cranking a few seconds so it's probably not possible to build fuel pressure in a situation like that.

Sucks to have to now purchase an injector, but good to no longer be in the dark. Any recommendations of where to get one? Looking on eBay I'll probably have to get one shipped to Australia from UK or the continent. I'll check with wreckers here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know exactly what happened. When I took the top of the injector off a spring and a thick washer came out, I put them back in the wrong order, washer should have gone on top of the spring. Washer caught the edge of the solenoid rather than going up into the spring hole pushing down on the part below as I tightened the solenoid on. I remember it being fairly difficult to tighten.

I feel a bit stupid now, shouldn't have put it back together without being 100% sure how to do it, and it cost me.

Incidentally I did the previous injector the same but had no problem I'm assuming because the washer fortunately didn't catch on the solenoid as I assembled it, and it ran fine afterwards. I'll have to fix that one once I get this sorted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts