Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have previously ordered a new factory built car, I have been able to change the spec. without losing my place in the "queue". However, with this car, I am getting conflicting information as to whether this is the case.

Has anyone any experience of changing their spec. and did it result in a delay?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
When I have previously ordered a new factory built car, I have been able to change the spec. without losing my place in the "queue". However, with this car, I am getting conflicting information as to whether this is the case.

Cheers.
Yes it is the case!
When you change the spec of your order the original is binned and a new one is created as I found out when I changed my order.

Grumpy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How very annoying...thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It's actually quite silly in this day and age what with the recent invention of computers. You would think that you could add / delete things on the order at a click of a button.
I was told it's all to do with having the right bits at the production line at the right time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well yes...Land Rover can do it, Mini can do it, why not Peugeot:confused:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yes, I went through a heck of a time with my order where Peugeot UK went to battle with Peugeot France.
Not long after I submitted my order, Peugeot France added a second option for the 19" Washington Wheels.
Previously all you could order was a full size spare wheel for an upgrade cost from the 18" to 19" of £400.
After my order was submitted they added a 'slim' 19" spare wheel which in turn allowed you to lower the boot tray. The slim spare changed the cost from £400 to £300.
I requested a change to the slim spare purely for the lowering of the boot tray.

Peugeot France's initial reaction was "No, we can not change this as it effects the order".
Our answer was in two parts:-
1. My order was not due to go into build for at least another 6 weeks.
2. How on earth could taking out one spare wheel and substituting it with another effect an order/build?

In the end common sense prevailed.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Because they're French and probably something to do with all that red wine and siesta time afterwards :)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yes, I went through a heck of a time with my order where Peugeot UK went to battle with Peugeot France.
Not long after I submitted my order, Peugeot France added a second option for the 19" Washington Wheels.
Previously all you could order was a full size spare wheel for an upgrade cost from the 18" to 19" of £400.
After my order was submitted they added a 'slim' 19" spare wheel which in turn allowed you to lower the boot tray. The slim spare changed the cost from £400 to £300.
I requested a change to the slim spare purely for the lowering of the boot tray.

Peugeot France's initial reaction was "No, we can not change this as it effects the order".
Our answer was in two parts:-
1. My order was not due to go into build for at least another 6 weeks.
2. How on earth could taking out one spare wheel and substituting it with another effect an order/build?

In the end common sense prevailed.
Hi Beards,
I don't want to tempt fate but it would be funny (not for you thou) if you get the wrong spare wheel after all :lol: I'll be watching this forum Friday morning to see if there's a rant from over Chesterfield way :nod:

2 more sleeps!!:thumb:

Grumpy

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

Cheers.
I asked my dealership if I could add a full size spare wheel to my order and they said they would have to cancel the original order and create a new one meaning I would lose my place in the queue. Ridiculous or what?

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you think about it, it makes sense considering Peugeot have a massive backlog of orders for the 3008.

When they make a car, they produce the different specs in bulks to reduce cost. It costs a lot of money to have a storage of all the different parts a car might have depending of the spec. If you order a car, it gets a slot in the production line with all the other similar cars because that is the fastest way to get through the order backlog (not only the production line at Peugeot, but also at all the suppliers). If the machines and people making the cars had to change tools, pick different parts and so on for each car, naturally it would take longer to build it.

However, if they have one day/work shift/whatever with just one spec (e.g. Nordic spec Allure in white with 19" wheels), they can work much faster because they repeat the same task over and over again without the need to verify what each car needs.

·
Administrator
2,878 Posts
Same here, as two weeks after ordering, we decided we wanted the roof rails but was told they would have to cancel our order and order again so we didn't bother.

Ironically the car wasn't built for another 15 weeks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The tone of this thread does kinda lay all the 'blame' at Peugeot's side. ;) If you're making a pretty big purchase it might be worth thinking about it before you press the button.

Not saying I don't understand. I decided what options I wanted before I visited the Dealer, even (and I'd not even decided to buy the car - I'd decided the options for all the cars I was going to see). Now, even I fell down, because I absolutely did 'change' the 3008 to the leather seats while I was there - up to that point it had been cloth with massage, but the leather is far superior. But I wouldn't change it now. I decided at that point. You stick with it after the handshake has happened.

If anyone is going to moan about how other manufacturers can handle this - and ridicule that Peugeot apparently cannot - then go buy one of the other cars.

Or should I be saying - change anything you want folk - every time some indecisive soul loses their place in the queue maybe mine gets a bit closer? :confused: (No, I still don't know when it will be!)

Anyone else noticed that this Peugeot forum thinks Peugeot is not a real word and highlights it as a mistake requiring correction as you type? :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I still think if other manufacturers manage to allow you to change the specifcations on your order (in some cases up to a few days before build), then Peugeot could do the same. I don't think it's so much to do with full order books and storage, and much more to do with bad management. I think many will agree that a lot of what goes on at Peugeot UK and Peugeot France defies all logic and common sense, so it sometimes amazes me that they actually manage to get cars from drawing board to dealers' forecourts.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If you think about it, it makes sense considering Peugeot have a massive backlog of orders for the 3008.

When they make a car, they produce the different specs in bulks to reduce cost. It costs a lot of money to have a storage of all the different parts a car might have depending of the spec. If you order a car, it gets a slot in the production line with all the other similar cars because that is the fastest way to get through the order backlog (not only the production line at Peugeot, but also at all the suppliers). If the machines and people making the cars had to change tools, pick different parts and so on for each car, naturally it would take longer to build it.

However, if they have one day/work shift/whatever with just one spec (e.g. Nordic spec Allure in white with 19" wheels), they can work much faster because they repeat the same task over and over again without the need to verify what each car needs.
I agree wholely if it effects the build timing but in the case of Chris and myself it was a simple matter of putting the right spare in the boot. How on earth can that effect a change to the order? :)

·
Administrator
2,878 Posts
If anyone is going to moan about how other manufacturers can handle this - and ridicule that Peugeot apparently cannot - then go buy one of the other cars.
Got to say Hippo, that's a harsh statement to make here.

I haven't read of anyone 'moaning', but simply stating some other manufacturers allow for spec change up to build date whereas Peugeot don't.

Telling members who do not like that Peugeot don't offer that service to 'then go buy one of the other cars' is also unnecessary I think.

Just my opinion of course.

Paul

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, you can read it wrongly if you wish to go searching for offence... I guess. Or you can chill. No offence intended... people should make their choices more carefully, good advice, that, isn't it? There'll be plenty truly wrong with the car without looking for things you erred on. ;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
..... people should make their choices more carefully, good advice, that, isn't it? There'll be plenty truly wrong with the car without looking for things you erred on. ;)
Yes but that isn't always the reason why we 'request' a modification to our order.
Again, in my case having wanted both the 19" Washington (tall & narrow tyres) AND a boot floor that I could lower, unfortunately when my order was placed I was not given that option, purely because the spare was a full size and thus prevented the floor from being lowered.
As such my stronger requirement was the larger wheels so the lowered floor was lost.
Imagine my frustration when a week after placing the order Peugeot moved the goalpost and added the slim spare wheel which was not only £100 cheaper but more importantly will let me lower the boot floor as and when required.

Therefore, it's not my fault if choices I wanted and requested were not met but then introduced after.

Again, luckily but only after a very 'heated' discussion between Peugeot UK and France did common sense kick in. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is gonna sound harsh, but it really ain't meant to...

Absolutely, it isn't your fault that at you wanted wasn't available at time of placing your order... but it is your fault that you still placed the order at that time - you always have a choice. There's always a walkway (bit brutal, tho').

I will often want a double sausage and egg McMuffin after 10:30. Damn them, but I cannot - and I can't even accept losing my place in the queue to get it. ;) No matter how hard the UK franchise goes in to bat for me with US head office... they'll not relent. No customer focus.

I blame myself for not being there at the right time.

If they come out with a[nother] new grey variant tomorrow... how many of us will want to change? Would that be 4 or 5 Grey's? ;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
How on earth is it my fault if they tell me what I want is not available BUT then introduce it one week later!
If they can tell me one thing and take my money for it, they can then change my order if they alter things.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I had a similar issue with my car. The dealer ordered it without grip control, and then had to try and add it to the order TWO DAYS after it had gone in. This was nearly TWO MONTHS before I even got a build date for the car. They had great difficulty getting the 3008 "Programmer" at Peugeot (thats what they call the guy who keys in the orders for the factory) to get it added, and at first they refused to do it. I gave them the choice of add it, or lose the order altogether. They added it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.