Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New to fixing cars. Bought a Haynes Manual and it says drain the gearbox oil. As I'm new to fixing cars I don't feel comfortable doing that. Do I need to drain the gearbox oil if I just knock the outer cv joint off the driveshaft and put the new one on?

·
6,256 Posts
I would double check that the outer joint is available.

Most peugeot driveshafts have non removable joints you need to change the whole shaft (hence the need to drain gearbox oil)

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would double check that the outer joint is available.

Most peugeot driveshafts have non removable joints you need to change the whole shaft (hence the need to drain gearbox oil)
I agree,its not worth all the hassle stripping shafts these days.You can get good quality complete shafts all ready to fit,from places like GSF or Euro,at very good prices.When you remove the shaft always replace the gearbox oil seal as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 questions left? Do you have to replace both front side driveshaft? And how to know how much gearbox oil to put back into the car?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know the problem yet as just collecting info. When the cars on full lock going slow pulling out it makes a clicking/knocking sound and all the info has lead me to think it might be worn cv joint cos the boot covers have split and water etc has got in. But I'm abit un-sure about draining the gearbox oil. So was just seeing if I can keep the inner joint connected and just replace the outer joint? Without draining the gearbox oil?

·
Registered
863 Posts
as others have said probably better to get another shaft because even if the cv joint does separate it will be a pig to unclip without a vice.

if you havnt done the job before its probably best to put it in a garage, should be around 1 hour labour.

i did one last week, its a messy job

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Trying to remove a CV in situ is mostly an impossible job, especially if the boot has broken and it is full of crud. I am with the others- replace the whole shaft as a unit.

Draining and replacing the gearbox oil will do your gearbox the world of favours, the 'lifetime' oil does have a very limited lifetime in my experience and has most likely been designed to keep the old cash register ticking over merrily in the dealer's workshop... :nod:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not on the screen itself, visible through the screen [attached to the body under the screen, bottom edge of dashboard] probably on the lhs [near side] bottom of the screen. Probably has a plate in the engine bay also with the vin number [among other info] on it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Gearbox takes 2.0L according to Servicebox. You fill it through the vent plug on top of the gearbox.
Gearbox oil from Servicebox: TOTAL TRANSMISSION BV 75W80 (Parts reference : 9730 A2)

Basic spec from build sheet below.

Vehicle family 207 (A7)
Build code 12225 81 2 0176
Warranty Start Date 13/07/2010
Engine serial number 10 FGAR 0826300
Gearbox serial number 20 CQ88 1096684
BER e2*2001/116*0340*17

General information
PRODUCT TYPE CAR
COMMERCIAL MARQUE/COMPONENT TYPE PEUGEOT
VEHICLE FAMILY 207
SILHOUETTE 5 DOOR SALOON