Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a peugeot 206 skyline (roof of glass), 2005. The car came with a clarion in-built CD player. Lately, when ejecting CDs, the cds get stuck. With some help (ex a pencil) the cd does get ejected eventually. However, the problem is getting worse by the day and lately, even with some help, the cds are very hard to eject.

When I asked my dealer, he said the stereo needs replacement, and you shouldn't buy one from them cause they are extremely expensive. He said I should buy a stereo of a different brand.

Upon asking, he also said that i would lose the dashboard LCD usage and also the under-steering stereo controls. He said there was no way to have a third-party stereo and still use the LCD and under-steering controls.

I think that the cd player still works, except the ejecting mechanism. I'm finding it hard to believe that there's no real solution.

Thus, I come to you, the peugeotforums.com community, for some ideas. ;)
G

·
Registered
184 Posts
Kranzorg said:
Hi all,
I have a peugeot 206 skyline (roof of glass), 2005. The car came with a clarion in-built CD player. Lately, when ejecting CDs, the cds get stuck. With some help (ex a pencil) the cd does get ejected eventually. However, the problem is getting worse by the day and lately, even with some help, the cds are very hard to eject.

When I asked my dealer, he said the stereo needs replacement, and you shouldn't buy one from them cause they are extremely expensive. He said I should buy a stereo of a different brand.

Upon asking, he also said that i would lose the dashboard LCD usage and also the under-steering stereo controls. He said there was no way to have a third-party stereo and still use the LCD and under-steering controls.

I think that the cd player still works, except the ejecting mechanism. I'm finding it hard to believe that there's no real solution.

Thus, I come to you, the peugeotforums.com community, for some ideas. ;)
G
Well this isn't really a car problem, its an electrical issue. But it just so happens I'm clued up in electrics and taking apart things I kind of specialize in.

Firstly he may be correct that you will lose the LCD and understeering controls. The LCD is most likely yes you will lose it, haven't seen an aftermarket stereo output on standard LCD's but its possible theoretically so who knows what advances we will get there in the future.

The steering controls, a lot of standard ones can be plugged in via an adapter from Autoleads (they are a company speciailizing in iso - car manufacturers adapters). But I am assuming since you spoke to a peugeot dealer that he knows something I don't there. Then again, probably not.

Only option you have if you want to repair that unit is to take it apart and find out whats causing the issue. My CD player wouldn't work at all when i got my car so I thought OK lets have a look. Turned out to be half a snapped CD stuck in the drive, took that out and it worked first time.

This sounds like either the eject mechanism has broke (a bit of plastic probably snapped off or a cog broke) or there will be something stopping it, getting in the way. So take it apart and have a GOOD look closely at how it all works, figure out how it exactly ejects and where the whole process is falling down.

Sorry but there will be no quick, ok disconnect your battery fixes for that, its hardware.

Just found this http://www.autoleads.co.uk/news/canbus.html
Since peugeot's run off can/van bus I'm guessing you need these newer (more expensive no doubt) leads which looks like it comes with a little control box. This may be why the guy at Pug said no you can't as these are fairly new looking products so maybe he hasn't heard about them. I wonder if this will also enable LCD output. I would imagine its more along the lines of what is needed to do that. As I said, who knows about the future, looks like that future may already be here

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
roy_newell said:
Well this isn't really a car problem, its an electrical issue. But it just so happens I'm clued up in electrics and taking apart things I kind of specialize in.

Firstly he may be correct that you will lose the LCD and understeering controls. The LCD is most likely yes you will lose it, haven't seen an aftermarket stereo output on standard LCD's but its possible theoretically so who knows what advances we will get there in the future.

The steering controls, a lot of standard ones can be plugged in via an adapter from Autoleads (they are a company speciailizing in iso - car manufacturers adapters). But I am assuming since you spoke to a peugeot dealer that he knows something I don't there. Then again, probably not.

Only option you have if you want to repair that unit is to take it apart and find out whats causing the issue. My CD player wouldn't work at all when i got my car so I thought OK lets have a look. Turned out to be half a snapped CD stuck in the drive, took that out and it worked first time.

This sounds like either the eject mechanism has broke (a bit of plastic probably snapped off or a cog broke) or there will be something stopping it, getting in the way. So take it apart and have a GOOD look closely at how it all works, figure out how it exactly ejects and where the whole process is falling down.

Sorry but there will be no quick, ok disconnect your battery fixes for that, its hardware.

Just found this xxx.
Since peugeot's run off can/van bus I'm guessing you need these newer (more expensive no doubt) leads which looks like it comes with a little control box. This may be why the guy at Pug said no you can't as these are fairly new looking products so maybe he hasn't heard about them. I wonder if this will also enable LCD output. I would imagine its more along the lines of what is needed to do that. As I said, who knows about the future, looks like that future may already be here

It LOOKS like the motor that spins to eject the CD has no traction on the disk. But still I would need to dismantle it. Any links for tutorials of how to dismantle the radio? It has four holes, but don't think they are screws.

PS: Would buying a cd changer help me? I suspect that since I won't be using the cd within the main unit, i can keep it.
Thanks,
G

·
Registered
184 Posts
Kranzorg said:
It LOOKS like the motor that spins to eject the CD has no traction on the disk. But still I would need to dismantle it. Any links for tutorials of how to dismantle the radio? It has four holes, but don't think they are screws.

PS: Would buying a cd changer help me? I suspect that since I won't be using the cd within the main unit, i can keep it.
Thanks,
G

Tutorials? Heck no, Just do it by logic. I messed about for ages with mine undoing screws and stuff and then eventually realised you don't even need to undo any screws to get the top off of mine, lol.

Getting a cd changer may of course help if your unit has cd changer control.

However, I thought we were trying to save money here? I personally would attempt to fix it and if not I'd replace it. Try ebay, may get a decent enough price as a lot of people who like their stereos tend to go aftermarket and so original ones end up on the bay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts