Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, had a blow from my 2008 207 1.4 vti and 2 different garages told me the cat had gone and quotes of £650 and £400. I asked if it could be welded and was told no and also if I left it then it would get louder and louder until unbearable.

Anyway got a 2nd hand cat off eBay and currently fitting. Got the old one off and it there is no holes whatsoever and no rattles from inside. But looks like one side of the gasket is the problem as it was black round 2 of the holes. I got a second hand gasket that came with the heatshield I bought and have cleaned it all up ready to go on.

Also stupidly I left the battery connected and when I removed the old heatshield it hit the alternator and shorted it out causing sparks etc. Hope this hasn't caused further damage...will let you know.

Any views? The cat is ready to go on. Is it worth risking it with a used gasket? Also why do these garages tell you the whole thing needs replacing, surely they should have checked thoroughly for holes in the cat? Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
check the flange is flat (put a good ruler across it) in both directions and check for excessive pitting if all good she's good to go! as for the garages it kind of clear where there coming from.....:( ho and most gaskets are the crush type so use a new one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts