Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Im facing some errors with my 2.0 xsi 16V engine. Sometimes i get "catalytic converter fault" and then engine begins to act strange with a big loss of power.
What i want to do is to remove the catalytic converter and insert a resonator (because its much cheaper).
The problem is that there are 2 lambdas, one in front and other in the back of the "cat".
Will the replacement somehow affect the engine's job? Or what are your suggestions. Because i believe that my "cat" is simply jammed. Also i have read that this would improve my exhaust work and its better for engine.

Thanks for advices.:)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If it's not there - the flow of air through the engine will be better - and you'll be belching out a load more toxins into the environment.

The loss of power is the engine shutting down to prevent possible damage - but working enough to get you home - this is normal.

I'd take it on the chin and keep the converter.

Peugeots are notorious for throwing up faults that have nothing to do with the description - so you're 'catalytic converter fault' could just be a dodgy sensor.

As all kit, oxygen sensors have a limited life span - but they are cheap to replace - so I'd change the sensors. If no improvement - you've ruled them out and saved yourself having to replace them in the future.

Seems to be a push to get rid of polluting cars on the road - wouldn't be at all surprised if the tolerance in mot tests gets smaller -so keep the converter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's not there - the flow of air through the engine will be better - and you'll be belching out a load more toxins into the environment.

The loss of power is the engine shutting down to prevent possible damage - but working enough to get you home - this is normal.

I'd take it on the chin and keep the converter.

Peugeots are notorious for throwing up faults that have nothing to do with the description - so you're 'catalytic converter fault' could just be a dodgy sensor.

As all kit, oxygen sensors have a limited life span - but they are cheap to replace - so I'd change the sensors. If no improvement - you've ruled them out and saved yourself having to replace them in the future.

Seems to be a push to get rid of polluting cars on the road - wouldn't be at all surprised if the tolerance in mot tests gets smaller -so keep the converter.
Many thanks for explanation, will try to change those o2 sensors, but in my country in EU they are not so cheap, cost about 50 euros for 1 piece.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you in the Uk? If so the car will not pass the MOT without it!
im from Lithuania (europe), you can pass the inspection easily for petrol engines, it's not so strict here. Only the diesel cars and especially their "cats" are being checked very accurate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts