Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Focal option on the new 3008 and wondering how I can best complement this fairly expensive choice.
Should I continue streaming via my 'old' Xperia Z3 (64GB compressed)
Or
Via the USB and a card reader?.
Is there a difference between card readers in terms of quality?.
Is there some other recommendation?......being 72 and a late tech adopter, treat me as completely ignorant in such matters.....and thank you in anticipation.
Dave:confused:

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I would expect the usb / card reader option to be likely to have slightly better quality if ther was to be a noticable difference. The bandwitch should be far higher than any streaming alternative for one but the major contributor would be down to being able to utilise bigger capacity usb storage be it a thumb drive or memory card. The larger capacity would do away with having to use as much compression and if the system dupports flac format then any compression would be lossless in terms of quality.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
When you say you are streaming, are you connecting your xperia using a 3.5mm audio cable or using bluetooth to stream music?

If it's the former, while not perfect, should be acceptable.

If it's the latter, bluetooth will most likely use A2DP, which will degrade the audio quality, the issue being, audio in it's raw form is analogue. The music stored on your phone is digital. So on the phone there is a Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC). Dependant on your phone, the quality of it etc, the DAC can vary. Some are better than others and this is an area where you should be paying the most attention: you can have a £10k amplifier but if it is amplifying utter crap, it will not sound that good. Bluetooth converts the digital format into analogue, then back into digital to transfer to the stereo, where it gets converted again, for your stereo to decode. Every time you convert, you lose quality.

There is one exception however and that is if your phone and stereo (unlikely) supports AptX codec. However even then, your phone is taking the digital MP3, converting into analogue, then converting back into digital, however it's far more efficient and retains more quality than simple A2DP.

FLAC is your best option at digital music storage, however not many car stereo's (certainly not manufacturer fitted) support this audio file, FLAC is lossless, there is no perceived loss of quality but the downside is the filesize. It's around 30mb per 4 mins.

And therein begins your next issue...just how committed are you to audio quality because the options are endless and it gets quite expensive really quickly.

Over bluetooth, I would go via USB / SD card into the stereo directly, simple, easy and quick.

As for upgrade importance, it always starts at: 1. Source (FLAC, high bit rate MP3 etc) 2. DAC (Stereo System) 3. Amplifier 4. Speakers 5. Speaker wiring

You don't have to go in sequence of course as factory fitted headunits are sometimes impossible to upgrade etc. Most people will go directly for speaker or amp upgrades which is fine.

However just bear in mind, you HAVE to match the speakers with the Amp. When speakers are designed, those are designed for a specific case. For example, speakers get designed for a specific frequency response. High end speakers usually have a limited range as those are designed to be used with subwoofers and tweeters.
On top of that, high end speakers are designed to be run off a powerful amplifier, so the efficiency of the speaker is often lower. More efficiency means more of the power is converted into sound.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say you are streaming, are you connecting your xperia using a 3.5mm audio cable or using bluetooth to stream music?

If it's the former, while not perfect, should be acceptable.

If it's the latter, bluetooth will most likely use A2DP, which will degrade the audio quality, the issue being, audio in it's raw form is analogue. The music stored on your phone is digital. So on the phone there is a Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC). Dependant on your phone, the quality of it etc, the DAC can vary. Some are better than others and this is an area where you should be paying the most attention: you can have a £10k amplifier but if it is amplifying utter crap, it will not sound that good. Bluetooth converts the digital format into analogue, then back into digital to transfer to the stereo, where it gets converted again, for your stereo to decode. Every time you convert, you lose quality.
Wow!
Thanks for that

There is one exception however and that is if your phone and stereo (unlikely) supports AptX codec. However even then, your phone is taking the digital MP3, converting into analogue, then converting back into digital, however it's far more efficient and retains more quality than simple A2DP.

FLAC is your best option at digital music storage, however not many car stereo's (certainly not manufacturer fitted) support this audio file, FLAC is lossless, there is no perceived loss of quality but the downside is the filesize. It's around 30mb per 4 mins.

And therein begins your next issue...just how committed are you to audio quality because the options are endless and it gets quite expensive really quickly.

Over bluetooth, I would go via USB / SD card into the stereo directly, simple, easy and quick.

As for upgrade importance, it always starts at: 1. Source (FLAC, high bit rate MP3 etc) 2. DAC (Stereo System) 3. Amplifier 4. Speakers 5. Speaker wiring

You don't have to go in sequence of course as factory fitted headunits are sometimes impossible to upgrade etc. Most people will go directly for speaker or amp upgrades which is fine.

However just bear in mind, you HAVE to match the speakers with the Amp. When speakers are designed, those are designed for a specific case. For example, speakers get designed for a specific frequency response. High end speakers usually have a limited range as those are designed to be used with subwoofers and tweeters.
On top of that, high end speakers are designed to be run off a powerful amplifier, so the efficiency of the speaker is often lower. More efficiency means more of the power is converted into sound.
Wow!
Thanks for that, I'll pick the bones out of that good info.
Is there a superior brand of card reader?.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Nope, any card reader should be fine. The only time you need to buy quality equipment is when dealing with analogue signals...so for those of you paying £200 for a HDMI cable..sorry to say, it's money down the bin!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, any card reader should be fine. The only time you need to buy quality equipment is when dealing with analogue signals...so for those of you paying £200 for a HDMI cable..sorry to say, it's money down the bin!
Thanks
I tried a multi card reader with just the micro SD card in it but the 308 said something about unable to read the 'disc', however when plugged into the TV's USB port, played perfectly.
So for some reason I seem to need a newer card reader, or there is something specific about the Peugeot I'm not aware of.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Oh that's what you meant with a card reader. The car won't have the necessary software to utilise a multi card reader. frankly, I'm surprised a tv does. Keep it simple, use a USB flash drive!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oh that's what you meant with a card reader. The car won't have the necessary software to utilise a multi card reader. frankly, I'm surprised a tv does. Keep it simple, use a USB flash drive!
Our Sony TV makes things simple it seems.
I'll have to try using a flash drive. Is that that needs some sort of initialising process before downloading on windows 10?

Or maybe just plug the phone into the USB port for music and the Bluetooth for phone perhaps?.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Could be a number of things that prevent it reading the card from not reconising the card reader as a valid USB storage device, Card capacity too big to being formatted with the wrong filesystem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.