Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use there 407 to tow??? either caravans or motorbike trailers,track cars whats your thoughts as a towcar

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hdi should be perfect as a tow car plenty of torque low down just where you want it i see loads of 407's on motorway with tow balls fitted.

G

·
I'm considering a 'bike trailer for mine, but wouldn't use it for owt heavier due to the soft rear end. Spring assistors or beefed up springs are needed and I'm always suspicous as to how this affects normal roadholding on the limit.

·
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chopper1192 said:
I'm considering a 'bike trailer for mine, but wouldn't use it for owt heavier due to the soft rear end. Spring assistors or beefed up springs are needed and I'm always suspicous as to how this affects normal roadholding on the limit.
i disagree about the spring assistors, my caravan weighs 1340kg with a noseweight of 65kg,pulls in 6th gear at 60mph with no issues,sits level and doesnt bottom out on the rear, i appreciate some others have felt the need to do this but
i feel my setup is fine

as for roadholding on my trip to cornwall last summer i had to brake quite hard on the m5 and everything went as it should,very straight,very stable and surprising quick,and the winding country roads were a pleasure as well

my opinion others may disagree if they wish.......................................i'll just ignore them:nod:

Reactions: phil1
G

·
Ah, you've set yours up decently by the sounds of things Tremmers. I know a lot of our brothers on you k now where either haven't bothered to, or can't set up the nose weight properly and have been having problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Towing

I use my 407sw 136 SE Tip Auto (55 Plate) to tow a Avondale Rialto (1300kg) which is the max for my car. Nose weight limit is 50kg which to be fair means my caravan is perfectly balanced. I have had no issues with towing this van and in fact really enjoy towing with this car. We went to Cornwall last year and the car towed at 60 all the way with no issues, we even passed other caravaners on the hills on the way into Cornwall. Loads of torque, excellent pulling power! Only downside is the car gets a bit bouncy on the back end when you have a full fuel tank!

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have just got back from our main holiday using our 407 SP (06 plate) 2-00ltr diesel auto our new van comes in at 1200Kg although well in for the 85% rule the cars handbook gives max braked trailer as 1100kg unless you reduce car weight ie only 2 passengers then it goes up to 1200kgs nose weight is 65Kgs which we set correctly balanced the weight in the van and away we went on a 225 mile tow down to Bournemouth and it towed very smooth , in cruise control the autobox is very good not loosing revs up hill ect does it all for you, the pitching you get is very reducing thanks to having a low suspension on my model , road handling was very good lane changing on motorways with ease and even the dreaded being overtaken by coaches was easily coped with, the only downside is boot room could do with a better opening lid as some things were awkward to get into boot but would highly recommend this car for towing :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts