Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all

Sorry for a long first post, I've tried to be as detailed as possible.

55 plate 307 1.6 HDI estate.

Last Saturday when I got back to my car it wouldn’t start. I knew something was up when I got back in and saw that the central display screen had reset itself to 00:00 1/1/2003 and when I went to start the engine it wouldn’t turn over, the dash lights flashed accompanied by a beeping sound and the orange triangle warning light came on.

I turned it off and tried again and this time the airbag system warning light and the passenger airbag warning light came on instead and again the car wouldn’t start. The central display then gave me the message that there was an “airbag/seatbelt fault” (helpfully in French) and then changed to Economy Mode Active.

My OH arrived in her 108 to try a jump start but nothing happened and by then it was getting late so I left my car there and went home.

On the Sunday I met a friend there with his Vivo van to try and jump it. The leads were on for around 10 minutes and despite the engine turning over and catching a couple of times it still wouldn’t start so in the end we towed it home.

Thoughts at this point were maybe the crank sensor as while connected it had tried to start but just wouldn’t catch and sounded out of time.

Once home I put the battery on charge and left it for over 24 hours before reconnecting it and after coughing and spluttering a couple of times it caught and started again. I took it out for a 15 minute drive without issue and then a couple of hours later went out and it started first time.

So now it’s Tuesday and I drive to work and back and then in the evening go and do the groceries again without any issues. Wednesday afternoon however the central display has reset itself again and it won’t start. There are no warning lights this time just the dash lights flashing and beeping sound.

I take the battery off and put it back on charge, checking it with a multimeter first which shows 13v and this morning I go out and reconnect it and it starts first time again. I check it with the multimeter while the engine is running and it shows a nice healthy 14v so head out for a test drive. 20 minutes later I’m back home having driven through the estate, along a fast section of dual carriageway and then back through the estate again.

I check the battery when I get out with the engine running and it’s still showing 14v but only 12v with the engine off. After and hour I go back out to the car to check again however its still showing 12v and the car wont start again.

So something is clearly draining the battery which would suggest the alternator but after charging the battery and running the engine it shows 14v which it should be. There is no obvious sign of damage to the battery itself, which is a sealed unit so I can't check fluid levels inside, and I’m now stumped as to what it could be.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
What are you using to measure the voltage - 12 and 14V are kinda rough, given that fractions of a volt matter. A fully charged battery at rest is about 12.6V , 12.0 is fairly discharged (just under half charged) ...

If you're getting 14-14.4V from the alternator when running the engine, that's good.

Various warnings and lights aren't uncommon when the battery is in poor state.

There could be a fault in one cell causing quick discharge and big voltage drops as the starter tries to crank (and draws a lot of current). This could allow driving once you get it started, stopping for short breaks and restarting, but if stood for longer could draw down the battery.

Measuring the voltage as you try to start the car would show how far the voltage drops. Opening the top (if possible, sometimes possible after removing stickers, prying up panels etc) and measuring the density of the acid in each cell could point to one of them being faulty.

A load test (a place selling batteries, or garage, could help you with that, could also tell if the battery still has capability or a fault.

I'd have the battery checked first, before looking elsewhere. Do you know how old the battery is (not that a fairly new one can't develop a fault)?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Most definitely your battery is in a bad state.A reading of 12 volts like you are getting indicates that your battery is less than a 1/4 charged.It should be reading 12.6 plus.Your alternator seems to be doing it's job ok.So a good replacement or new battery will certainly sort your problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sudden Battery Discharge

Please I need your help urgently.

My car is 2007 model of Peugeot 307, 1.6 Petrol, automatic;manufactured in 2011 purchased in 2013 with 30km on it. Current mileage is 74km.

Driving home from work in the evenings take about 2 hours because of traffic. About 10 Km before home, the lights of the car would start to blink and the automatic transmission would start to shift by itself from gear 1 - 3; 3-1. And the next morning the car would not start - the dashboard light would only blink and the wiper blade would roll once.

The car would only start when the battery is charged or another battery is used.

The current battery is about 11 months old. I took it to the supplier and they tested it with Midtronics MDX -P300 with the following result:

Battery Test
Volts- 12.77
Measured- 436CCA
Rating - 510CCA

Starter Test
Volts - 11.05V

Charging Test
Volts - 13.85V

Any insight, further question or advice would be reallt appreciated.

What are you using to measure the voltage - 12 and 14V are kinda rough, given that fractions of a volt matter. A fully charged battery at rest is about 12.6V , 12.0 is fairly discharged (just under half charged) ...

If you're getting 14-14.4V from the alternator when running the engine, that's good.

Various warnings and lights aren't uncommon when the battery is in poor state.

There could be a fault in one cell causing quick discharge and big voltage drops as the starter tries to crank (and draws a lot of current). This could allow driving once you get it started, stopping for short breaks and restarting, but if stood for longer could draw down the battery.

Measuring the voltage as you try to start the car would show how far the voltage drops. Opening the top (if possible, sometimes possible after removing stickers, prying up panels etc) and measuring the density of the acid in each cell could point to one of them being faulty.

A load test (a place selling batteries, or garage, could help you with that, could also tell if the battery still has capability or a fault.

I'd have the battery checked first, before looking elsewhere. Do you know how old the battery is (not that a fairly new one can't develop a fault)?

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Please I need your help urgently.

My car is 2007 model of Peugeot 307, 1.6 Petrol, automatic;manufactured in 2011 purchased in 2013 with 30km on it. Current mileage is 74km.

Driving home from work in the evenings take about 2 hours because of traffic. About 10 Km before home, the lights of the car would start to blink and the automatic transmission would start to shift by itself from gear 1 - 3; 3-1. And the next morning the car would not start - the dashboard light would only blink and the wiper blade would roll once.

The car would only start when the battery is charged or another battery is used.

The current battery is about 11 months old. I took it to the supplier and they tested it with Midtronics MDX -P300 with the following result:

Battery Test
Volts- 12.77
Measured- 436CCA
Rating - 510CCA

Starter Test
Volts - 11.05V

Charging Test
Volts - 13.85V

Any insight, further question or advice would be reallt appreciated.
check battery connections, earth connections, alternator connections.

check for signs of water near the bsi and under the carpet

try a bsi reset

·
Registered
10 Posts
@TrustMe:

Thanks a million for the quick reply.

More details especially about a little water under the carpet would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tope

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
@TrustMe:

Thanks a million for the quick reply.

More details especially about a little water under the carpet would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tope
lift the carpet up and check for water its as simple as that and the rest of it is self explanatory, if you dont know how to do these simple things then i recommend taking the car to someone who does before you break it even more

1 - 8 of 8 Posts