Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I last drove out on Monday, had no problems or issues whatsoever, then since then the car has just been parked in the drive.

Go out this morning, start the car, put in gear, and the car will not move anywhere.

Handbrake comes off, no warnings lights/messages, nothing obviously preventing the car from moving on the ground, and the engine revs fine.

It just will not move, tried in 1st and reverse gears and doesn't make any difference.

I'm now waiting for the RAC to come out but thought I'd see if anybody here has any ideas/suggestions while I wait.

·
Registered
978 Posts
When you say it doesn't move, what is the effect of putting it in gear and lifting your foot off the clutch? Can you hear anything happening at all? Or is it just as if you haven't put it in gear?

It could be something wrong with the gear selection. Does the gearlever feel like it's actually doing anything? Can you feel it sliding the gears together?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say it doesn't move, what is the effect of putting it in gear and lifting your foot off the clutch? Can you hear anything happening at all? Or is just as if you haven't put it in gear?

It could be something wrong with the gear selection. Does the gearlever feel like it's actually doing anything? Can you feel it sliding the gears together?
When lifting the clutch it does 'move' in the sense the car is 'pulling' but it doesn't drive anywhere. I didn't try it but I'm guessing it would stall if I let it.

When putting it in to a gear it sounds/feels normal.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Ah, that's sounding as though the parking brake hasn't released. Try engaging and disengaging it (I'm presuming it's an electric parking brake) a few times. See if you can hear the mechanism at the rear operating.

Ignition on.
Foot on brake pedal
Disengage parking brake
Engage parking brake.
Repeat, repeat, repeat.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, that's sounding as though the parking brake hasn't released. Try engaging and disengaging it (I'm presuming it's an electric parking brake) a few times. See if you can hear the mechanism at the rear operating.

Ignition on.
Foot on brake pedal
Disengage parking brake
Engage parking brake.
Repeat, repeat, repeat.
I will go and try it again and try that method though I can definitely 'hear' the parking brake release before, along with the message coming up on screen to say it has.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If it is the parking brake then it could end up being an expensive process to fix. I believe that a new one is nearly a grand to buy!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it is the parking brake then it could end up being an expensive process to fix. I believe that a new one is nearly a grand to buy!
Just went outside and tried the manual releasing it and enagaging it and it seems to work fine.
I clearly hear the noise of it releasing/engaging and you can feel the brake pedal 'adjust' slightly when doing so.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think you'll have to wait for the RAC. If it is the brake at fault then the mechanism might be releasing but the pads remain stuck. Let us know what happens and good luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you'll have to wait for the RAC. If it is the brake at fault then the mechanism might be releasing but the pads remain stuck. Let us know what happens and good luck.
Thanks Paul. I'll update when I learn anything new.

One bit of piece of mind is I do have an extended warranty on the car, which paid out with no issues last year when getting the air con fixed (around £600 worth), and looking in the documents it covers the gearbox and will only not cover the clutch if it's due to wear and tear.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One last thought. There's nothing wedging any of the tyres is there? Kids haven't put a bottle or something there?
My first thought was checking around the wheels to see if they'd buried themselves in too deep anywhere or if anything is in the way.

I can't see any issues though.

It's on a gravel drive so I was thinking it may have 'sunk' in too much possibly but it doesn't look that way, and surely even if it had I would get some sort of wheelspin when accelerating enough.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RAC originally said they'd be out by 12:10.
Nothing, so gave them a call asking for an update, and now the 'estimated' time is apparently 14:45.

Great service :thumb:

So, no update as yet but just felt the need to vent a little. Don't seem to have much luck when it comes to cars :(

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it's rubbish.
I understand that it's an 'estimated' time but if it was really THAT busy why did they give such a different time to begin with?
It just seems rediculous. To top it off the guy on the phone sounded like he wanted to quit and go home.

Obviously I'm yet to find out the exact problem, which is annoying as I hate not knowing whats going on :eek:
But it seems very strange that whatever it is has just 'happened'. As I said I last drove it on Monday and it was completely fine with nothing unusual happen, is it the norm for things like this to just 'happen' suddenly :(

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Just out of interest, have you tried moving the car in reverse or in 2nd gear?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just out of interest, have you tried moving the car in reverse or in 2nd gear?
Yep tried both reverse and also 2nd not long ago to see if it made a difference.

It's so odd. It sounds like the parking brake is fine and the clutch seems like it might be okay as the car moves 'upwards' like it's trying to pull away.

At the moment things are pointing to a possible gearbox fault? But no warning lights or screen messages stating any faults :confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wasn’t complementing RAC
Just a joke; good luck – good rack

Yes, no good at all, they all uber nice to you when you subscribing, totally different to when you need them.

Good luck with your problem
Really curious what could have happened there...
I could think of hundred possible reasons ..bit its no 80s anymore..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wasn’t complementing RAC
Just a joke; good luck – good rack

Yes, no good at all, they all uber nice to you when you subscribing, totally different to when you need them.

Good luck with your problem
Really curious what could have happened there...
I could think of hundred possible reasons ..bit its no 80s anymore..
Oh I know you wern't :D
I know, that seems to be the way a lot of companies operate :(

Thanks. I'm hoping it's nothing too complicated/expensive to me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts