Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just taken delivery of my 3008 and its gleaming black and i would like to keep it looking as good as possible. Does anyone have any recommendations of either polish or wax that they use ?

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is just my subject! haha, and to be honest it's a very big subject, but i'll stick to the basics.

Nice colour :) I owned a black Civic for 8 years before getting the 3008, and black is THE colour worst affected by defects you can cause from a poor washing technique.

The good analogy I heard recently which explains this is with a tupperware container. When you buy a brand new container it looks so clear and perfect, but over time it starts getting scratched and cloudy. This is basically what happens to the clear coat which sits on top of the paint. If you wash a car poorly you will inflict micro scratches and swirls which over time will make the paint work look dull. That's why brand new cars look so much better, in a different league of shine, because people wash their cars poorly.

This is what you want to be doing as a basic routine (I recently posted this elsewhere):

1) Use a pressure washer first to remove the lose dirt (Preferably with snow foam via a snow lance and snow foam.
2) Use the 2 bucket method with a wash mitt to make sure clean water is going back on the car (check youtube)
3) Apply Polish/Glaze the car
4) Wax the car for long term protection

Steps 3 and 4 can just be done every 2 months+ (Edit - I'm not referring to using a DA or abrasive polish every 2 months!) , but for a weekly "maintenance" wash you can use a "Quick Detailer" loads are available, AutoGlym Aqua Wax is pretty good. This tops up your wax and makes it easy to dry.

Those are the steps people should be following at a very basic level. Do NOT take it to a public car wash or hand wash, if you want to maintain the new finish you have now

With regards to actual products, I'm not sure where you live, so don't know what's available to your area.

Some hard wearing, long term waxes:
Collinite 476
Fusso

If you have any more questions though, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for your great advice. This is the most money i have spent on a car so i want to make sure i look after it properly.

·
Registered
814 Posts
If you want performance for a decent price, try Bilt Hamber's wax. Double Speed if you just want to get it done easily and Finis Wax if you want something that's harder wearing. (Double speed on mine... applied last in november.... last remnants still on and I've been through a few auto car washes!)

The rest .... as the previous poster said. Two bucket and always wash yourself, you would be better off not washing for longer periods of time than going to a public car wash :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol thanks very much for the recommendations, actually looking forward to washing the car now, never thought i would be saying that !!

·
Registered
195 Posts
One thing that a lot of people rush is wheels. Treat your allows with the same respect you do your paintwork.

Here's a basic list

1. Autosmart SmartWheels (Sprayed on alloys and left 5-10 to do its work) Also agitate with a detailing brush to get into small areas)
2. Jetwash off cleaning wheel arches also.
3. Snowfoam entire car leaving 5-10 mins to soften dirt.
4. Rinse
5. Few squirts of Autosmart Duet in one bucket and clean water in another cleaning one panel at a time rinsing your mitt thoroughly between panels.
6. At step 5 only do the top 3/4 of car.
7. Now with a different mitt do the lower part of the car.
8. Rinse
9. Dry gently with a Microfiber drying towel.
10. Apply wax (2 coats the first time) (Soft Fusso99 Dark would be good for your black car and because it is synthetic can last up to 12 months. Though I would probably do every 4 or whenever you fancy.
11. Remove wax with an edgeless microfiber cloth.
12. Apply a hard wearing wax like Collinite to your alloys.
13. Apply dressing to your tyres (Meguiars Endurance)

This is the minimum you should be doing lots more you can do. It looks like a lot but when you get into it you can do very quick. Also once waxed dirt will come off much easier.

·
Registered
420 Posts
3) Apply Polish/Glaze the car
4) Wax the car for long term protection

Steps 3 and 4 can just be done every 2 months+,
If you polish your car every other month, you are going to ruin your paint for life.

The idea behind polish is to rinse the paint and/or (depending on the cut) remove a thin layer of clear coat (that's how swirls and defects in the paint are removed). How many years will your paint last if you remove a layer 6 times a year?

All kinds of "polish" that have fillers in it to hide swirls are waste of money. Why? If you use a polish with cut, you do a wipedown to remove all oils after the polishing to be able to verify that all defects are gone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you polish your car every other month, you are going to ruin your paint for life.

The idea behind polish is to rinse the paint and/or (depending on the cut) remove a thin layer of clear coat (that's how swirls and defects in the paint are removed). How many years will your paint last if you remove a layer 6 times a year?

All kinds of "polish" that have fillers in it to hide swirls are waste of money. Why? If you use a polish with cut, you do a wipedown to remove all oils after the polishing to be able to verify that all defects are gone.
Oh dear, I didn't want this to turn into a die hard detailing convo, and trying to keep it simple lol. This is not a detailing forum.

I'm not referring to using a DA on the car every 2 months! I don't think the OP will be using one at all. I'm referring to the more consumer "polishes" and glazes like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish (Which yes isn't actually a true polish) and other glazes which don't have any abrasives.

Basically, the aim is to make the paint work look as nice and shiney as you can with whatever time/money you have. Polishes and glazes with fillers are a great option for the normal person that's not into true detailing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm all for protecting the car, but don't overdo it. Best preventative care is to use a wool mit when washing, two bucket method ideally. ALWAYS wash the car yourself, don't even allow the dealership to give you a free wash when you get it serviced as they'll drag a grit-laden chamois all over it, I made this mistake with my 3008 and the glossy black trim on the doors is covered in swirl marks now :mad:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm all for protecting the car, but don't overdo it. Best preventative care is to use a wool mit when washing, two bucket method ideally. ALWAYS wash the car yourself, don't even allow the dealership to give you a free wash when you get it serviced as they'll drag a grit-laden chamois all over it, I made this mistake with my 3008 and the glossy black trim on the doors is covered in swirl marks now :mad:
This ^^ Keep it simple and within the remit of your own time and budget.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Yawn... Yawn.... :sleep:

What happened to the days of washing and polishing ones car with just a bucket, sponge, soapy water a couple of cloths and a tub of polish?? . Usually on a Sunday morning...

Grumpy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, i have been using ARMORALL SHIELD since it came out a few years ago, once applied, i found the car does not attract the "Dust" and for a "Black Car" you can usually see the dust on the roof an hour after polishing, check out the video on youtube for Armourall Shield, you will see what i mean.

2.0 GT Ultimate Red

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yawn... Yawn.... :sleep:

What happened to the days of washing and polishing ones car with just a bucket, sponge, soapy water a couple of cloths and a tub of polish?? . Usually on a Sunday morning...

Grumpy
lol, not you again. Nothing much actually. Buckets, soapy water, tub of polish. Sounds good to me :thumb:

·
Registered
814 Posts
If you are into detailing, then by all means, go all out. I am not (can't be arsed with the time & expense) so mine is the bare minimum.

Keep it simple, a cheap pressure washer is fine, spray all over to remove as much grit as possible.

Use the two bucket method with a grit guard. Use a semi-decent car wash solution, you don't have to go all out. But the most important part is a microfibre mit (or sheepskin one) - grit is the enemy, a normal sponge is horrendous to use... plus difficult.

Rinse off thoroughly. Dry off with a microfiber cloth, you might want to soak it in water first, then wring it, a damp cloth picks up more water :)

Wash the wheels carefully, using a different wash mit (I use a sponge on mine... it's just the wheels lol), rinse off carefully.

Apply a good quality wax using a foam applicator pad. Then buff off using a dry clean microfibre cloth. Polish in my opinion does nothing. You can use a glaze but I find the wax to be just fine.

Job jobbed.

P.s, do not EVER drop a cloth or mit or pad etc onto the floor. Grit is the number 1 cause for damage at a car wash.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Grumpy I am afraid to show you my detailing kit.
WTF!!
You got some form of strange OCD my friend!

To be honest, horses for courses. I'd catalogue detailing behavior like yours, with the likes of plane/train spotting or (dear I say it) caravan towing.

Some people get a kick from Champagne but I hate the stuff. Unlike the wife.:rolleyes:

After saying all of the above I do like to see a very well turned out car. Geezer down the road from me has a dark grey DB9 and that is always sparkling. I'll have to see if I can peek in his garage and see if he's got shelves and shelves of stuff like you!

Grumpy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts