Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody - my first post so hopefully I've put it in the right forum.

I have a 2008 Peugeot 207 SW 1.4 95bhp.
Last Thursday I ran it for a few seconds to move it down the drive slightly so my wife could get her scooter past it. It started absolutely fine.
On Friday morning my wife went to start it and it just wouldn't start. It sounds like it is trying to fire to start with but just doesn't fire up (hope that makes sense)

Our usual mechanic has almost run out of ideas and it is to be seen by an auto electrician on Monday but I'm just hoping someone might have a clue as to what it might be as we're really struggling without it - we are a 1 car family.

What has been done so far :-

Mechanic connected his scanner to check for error codes - it did come up with an unspecified error (sorry don't know what the code was)

Spark plugs have been replaced - all checked for a spark - all cylinders were sparking and fuel is getting through to the cylinders. He did notice that on cylinders 2 and 4 the spark was weaker. He is coming back later today to replace the coils on the two weaker cylinders.

The camshaft is turning when we crank the starter.

I've been wondering whether the immobiliser might be the problem - As far as I can gather, if the immobiliser is active, the car will still crank over but wont fire up - I don't know if that's correct. I have supposedly reset it by removing the shunt fuse for 15 minutes.

BTW - no error messages are appearing on the dashboard except the battery warning light now as the battery has taken quite a drain with attempt s to start the car. It is now on charge.

My mechanic is confident that the Auto Electrician will find the problem on Monday but if anyone has any bright ideas that I could try in the meantime I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that Gibbo - I may well be in touch before too long. I'll see how things go when the mechanic arrives tonight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Auto Electrician is due tomorrow. He should have all the latest gear for diagnosis.

My mechanic and I strongly suspect the crank sensor may be at fault - old school diagnosis would suggest that as there's a spark and fuel, then the timing is the problem.

I'll post the results in due course in case it's helpful to anyone else. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Gibbo - not forgotten - the AUto Electrician confirmed it was almost certainly a timing issue so it's gone in to a garage now for repair. We're hoping to have it back tomorrow so I can confirm what the problem was. Reply may not be until next week as we've got a wedding this weekend and time is at a premium :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As promised here's the final report. It was a valve timing issue. Apparently this engine co-designed by BMW (in their mini) and Peugeot can "jump" the timing if it stalls or as in my case, the engine runs for just a few seconds before being switched off again. So the recommendation is that if I want to move it two feet down the drive, I go on a five mile drive to make sure it doesn't happen again :lol:

The garage who dealt with it confirmed that it's not the first time they've come across this scenario.

Thanks to all who replied to the post. I hope this might help someone in the future.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts