Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a store in a nearby town this afternoon and when I got back in the car I pressed the start button, dashboard and multimedia screen lit, up but the engine didn’t turn. I switched off and tried again a few times but no luck. I looked at the displayed temperature which was reading 40 degrees and began to contemplate my options. At one stage I noticed a red spanner on the screen with the word stop beside it but this isn’t mentioned in the mypeugeot app. I have a feeling the car was prevented from starting due to a fail-safe mechanism but not sure what, if anything, this was caused by.

Anyway, I had a couple more attempts and low and behold the engine fired up so I was able move off and get the A/C going, much to my relief.

This isn’t the first time this has happened but on the previous occasions the car has started after a couple of re-presses of the start button.

Anyone else experienced this problem or know what might be causing it?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Not had it happen Chris, but if it is temperature related, it doesn't bode well for our friend in the UAE who is looking to buy one. Could be high coolant temperature, a faulty sensor, or just an electrical glitch. I would get them to do a diagnostic on the car to see if it has been recorded as a fault.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My first question Chris would be: When you managed to start the car what was the temp? Was there a significant difference?
If yes then as Lee says it could be a faulty sensor or an engine management issue.

·
Administrator
2,833 Posts
Sounds like a over temp is due to me.

I noticed the other day when it was really hot the stop start wouldn't work, even with the air con off. It does say if the destruction manual if the engine is too hot it disables stop start, but says nothing about engine not starting from key/button due to heat.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Lee and Mike. The outside temperature was 40 degrees, I didn't look at the coolant temperature but it has been as hot as that on a few occasions with no problems.

I've got an idea it might be a diesel thing. I've had diesels for the past 20 or so years and I've never waited for the diesel pre-heating light to go out before starting the engine. Reading through the manual has high-lighted one of my many failings. In future I’m going to be a good boy and wait for the light to go out so I can eliminate one possible reason for the car not starting.

I'm back in the Uk at the end of this month so I’d rather cross my fingers and wait until I can take the car to my local dealer.

As a matter of interest if the car breaks down, does one press the red button above the rear view mirror?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a over temp is due to me.

I noticed the other day when it was really hot the stop start wouldn't work, even with the air con off. It does say if the destruction manual if the engine is too hot it disables stop start, but says nothing about engine not starting from key/button due to heat.
Stop / start hasn't worked at all for me for over a month, A/C on or off, rain or shine. I'm sure the s/s on my Focus would kick-in whenever the A/C wasn't on.

·
Administrator
2,833 Posts
Yes Chris, you push the red sos button. Apparently they answer in French until they realise what language you speak then speak your language....no problem for you in French however.

Lets see how they get on with my first language of Welsh...then again I could be marooned for days if I did.

Anyway, we digress, still betting it's temp related, but it's good practice to let the glow plug light go out and we'll worth a try.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I thought the Red button was for accidents (Emergency Services) and the Black one for breakdowns ?
Thought the same red button sos emergency services and black button for assistance as in breakdown

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hi Dautres,

My first thought was your key wasn't being detected by the keyless module. But then you said the dash lit up, so it couldn't be that. If the key wasn't detected you'd get a message saying so when you press the start button. That's what happens in the 508 with keyless anyway.
I know this don't help much but at least you can discount keyless module fault.
I've never heard of a car not starting due to ambient outside high temperature before. After all, what would happen to car owners in much hotter climates like the middle and far East, Africa & South/Central America, not to mention Oz, where the temps are regularly in the 40s.

Grumpy

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Grumps

No it can't be a heat thing because it has happened in the morning when the car is in the shade and it took 2 or 3 presses of the start button to start the engine. Yesterday was different mainly because it was so hot and I was melting, I suppose I panicked wondering what to do, no wife to calm me, did I have my foot on the brake correctly, was I actually pressing the start button etc. I think I switched on and off about 5 times with triple the amount of presses to start the engine.

If it happens again hopefully I shall be a little calmer (and cooler) and read any messages that might appear on the screen and report back.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've only had one issue before - after driving off the passport control in the channel tunnel, the S&S didn't start but the car seemed to think it was all ok - i.e. no (A) in the corner (or blinking).

The diesel keyless you're meant to be able to push the button and the engine will start once it's warmed up. I have forgotten to hold my foot on the brake before :eek:

Other than that it's been ok, although I have been making sure I use the car at the weekends at least for a decent drive (temps and regen).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts