1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm new to Peugeots and driving in general. My car is:

Peugeot 306 - 2.0 Litre - HDI - Diesel - Year 2000

I made the biggest beginners mistake ever! I had little fuel in and went to add fuel to my lovely little car. I added half a tank of petrol by mistake and didn't realise until the next morning (after driving it around all day). When I tried to start my car I experiencing it struggling to start, followed by a lot of white smoke. At this point I checked my receipt and saw that I added Unleaded. I was advised by a guy at my local scrap yard to try and get it to a petrol station and fill it up as much as possible with Diesel, which I have. For the last few mornings I have been getting white smoke for about 10 seconds and then it is fine. I have been advised that once the tank gets to half way, I should top it back up with Diesel, before using all the fuel.

I teach at a college and I have spoken to somebody who I believe knows a thing or two about cars from the college. I explained another issue I have been getting since. Shortly after braking (in gears 2 and 3 mainly), my car seems to just drive itself. The revs are not going through the roof as I have seen on other posts. It seems to maintain the speed, rather than accelerating.

The person 'in the know' seems to think I have some sort of super fuel mixture (he did explain it long winded, but I didn't really understand it) and that may be the reason to why my car is doing this. He said you should notice a difference when there is just diesel in it. He did mention that I should have noticed quicker acceleration, which I have. The car gets to 40 before I have chance to even look at my speed.

Can anybody else shed some light onto this issue? I've been stressing in case there is some other issue with the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Petrol burns differently to diesel so the combustion will be uneven it will probably be fine once diluted BUT you may have already damaged the fuel pump as HDI engines are not good at handling fuel contamination older diesels can handle it fine.

It would have been better to drain it and refill with diesel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Do you think the issue I am experiencing is due to a faulty fuel pump? I've just had a look at common symptoms of a faulty fuel pump. I saw that surging is a symptom, but I'm not sure that the car is surging. The best way I can describe it is when I depress the clutch the car goes as if its been accelerated.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Best thing to do is keep diluting the tank and see how it goes you may be lucky but yes the revving is probably down to the pump being worn but it may be fine once the diesel ratio improves.

Diesel lubricates the pump internals where petrol will wash the diesel off the internals this increases the wear in the pump.

The damage is already done now so just keep going as is worse case you will need a pump and injectors but they are not all that expensive used.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks reliable406, appreciated and understood. My dad has suggested that I take it for a good run down the the East Lancs, i'm a bit wary in case it just breaks down on me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts