Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems sad that I am willing to take my whole car apart, add and remove circuits, play with headunit firmware and changing ECU options. But I am too scared to try and remove some very light swirl marks from my bonnet in case I mess anything up.

There are loads of links recently to peoples preferred products, which is great. But can anyone link to a method of polishing / waxing that a beginner could follow? If you search the internet, you find a million and one different opinions, but I would rather the opinions of a few of this forum!

Thanks for any help, Paul :D

·
5,980 Posts
If you are doing it by hand something like Autosmart mirror image is suppose to be slightly abrasive and can remove slight swirls.(But I am no expert)

I use it a couple of times a year on my car and seems to work well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Im a bit late to the party (new member), but if youre willing to spend a little cash - and time and effort - you cant go wrong with a dual action / DA polisher. I bought a Kestrel DAS6 and have more than had my moneys worth from it. Its very hard to ruin the paint with a DA, and very easy to work with. Ill get some pics to show you examples...

·
Registered
170 Posts
quick tip, get yourself to a scrappy and grab a bonnet of anything and bring it home, pop it on a work bench and tape off a few areas (I just did it in quarters) and had a go with a couple of different polishes and waxes on each area. DA's are great and I actually went with a really cheepo thing from Helfrauds which I think my Dad had bought years ago with a 3 for 2 deal, OK not as easy as the proper DA's as their much smaller and more manageable and have different heads but for removing very light swirls it does the job. do get yourself a clay mit and give the car a good wash first, it will make the polishing and then waxing sooo much easier and a lovely glass like finish.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tried to put up some 50/50 shots I took of when I was DAing the paint on different cars. I havent enough posts yet so sh*tposting will have to continue! :D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those photos look brilliant. I would love to get a Dual Action polisher, but cant justify the £200+ as I don't know how often I would use it.

I will keep looking around for second hand ones, hopefully catch a bargain!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Generally speaking you shouod only need to correct the paint once, but if you use a final glossing pad you can use that with a really fine finishing polish a couple of times a year if you want to be anal, or if you keep on top of the paint you can use the machine for quick application of wax as well!

DAS-6 Dual Action Polisher - Menzerna Kit - Clean Your Car

That kit has most of everything youd ever want, bar some Tardis and Iron-x for cleaning the paint properly prior to machining. Well under the 200quid price :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
It seems sad that I am willing to take my whole car apart, add and remove circuits, play with headunit firmware and changing ECU options. But I am too scared to try and remove some very light swirl marks from my bonnet in case I mess anything up.

There are loads of links recently to peoples preferred products, which is great. But can anyone link to a method of polishing / waxing that a beginner could follow? If you search the internet, you find a million and one different opinions, but I would rather the opinions of a few of this forum!

Thanks for any help, Paul :D
Come over to the clean your car forum. We know a bit about the subject and anyone is welcome to join CleanYourCar.co.uk • Index page

1 - 11 of 11 Posts