Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Sons 307 1.4 HDI (2003) conks out intermittently this has happened on a number of occasions over the last 6 months. It's also a little difficult to start in the mornings, battery is newish and wurles the engine over efficiently. When the engine starts it runs great although the anti-pollution light comes on occasionally.

Son has had the 307 serviced by his local garage and at that time asked them to check the problem of conking out over. When he picked the vehicle up they said they could not find any issues. As the fault is intermittent I know this can be a sod!

A few weeks later same problem, engine conked out, he did manage to get it started ( I presume by just keeping the starter turning), back to the garage they again check the vehicle over and found no fault, but did say it's probably the injector pump breaking up and would need replacing at around £600. I at that time had not had the opportunity to investigate the car.

However, 2 weeks ago on my return home from work I noticed my sons 307 at the road side, "Guess what" he'd broken down again, this time I could witness the problem. I noticed that the 'prime bulb' was empty, with 6-7 primes the 307 started. He did say there was a light on the dash which came on before it conked out, I'm guessing this to be the anti pol light? But was not on when I got the vehicle started (so could not verify anti pol light)

Today, same problem, 307 broke down, son now wants me to investigate ( hurray!!! Can now get the car off him when he drops it off)

2 weeks ago a brief check I could find no leaks, fuel filter housing looked dry and clean. I’ll put a mityvac on system to check fuel line integrity when the vehicle arrives. Do you think it could be a defective 'in tank pump' or associated wiring? other than the injector pump??
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mileage is about 150k
Terry..
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can say with almost 100% certainty that its not the HP fuel pump, with the priming bulb empty I would say its the age old problem of air getting into the system.Check the push fit connections on the fuel filter and change it if its old, then the fuel line on top of the air box these are the common places air gets in also always run the car with at least a quarter tank of go go juice in

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi M-joseph,

My thoughts also. However, as the car conks out whilst in motion I think I may have an issue with the pump in the tank or it's electrical supply in addition to a possible air leak on the fuel lines.

Son said the car conked out twice yesterday but car may run ok for a couple of weeks without conking out.

In addition to an air leak in the fuel lines, It maybe also a defective fuel pump in tank an intermittent defect either electrical or mechanical it could be a defective return valve in the pump? this could also cause the fuel to drain back to the tank over night causing difficult starting in the morning.:rolleyes:

Terry..

·
Registered
311 Posts
The 1.4hdi does not have a pump in the tank. It may be a faulty cam or rpm sensor or a throttle sensor, when was the fuel filter changed? A pp2000 is needed to look at the live data and the stored faults

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, just read in Haynes manual that no pump is fitted in tank. I have a 307 2.0 HDI which has one. My sons is my wifes old 1.4HDI.

As the prime bulb empties it's got to be fuel related and not cam sensors etc, unless there's a pressure sensor or HP pump fault?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Im no expert but like above. Either an air leak. Building up then clonkin out. Coming from a worn pipe or filter housing.
As stated above. Keep the fuel level up. Dont let her run dry.
Use planet to see the faults incase its a pump.issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checking car Tuesday. I don't have Planet but professional Hella Diagnostic kit which gives live data etc. Will keep you informed. help, comments very much appreciated.

Rgds
Terry..:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car sorted. chaffed LP pipe to fuel filter. Cleared fault codes and did a Global check fuel system/engine and no recurring faults!:thumb:.
rgds
Terry..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts