Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone please identify this part, please tell me what it is, its on the right hand side of the engine as you're looking at it (peugeot 308 1.6 vti), the vaccum pump comes first, then the thermostat housing, and then this part, its kind of hiding under the air intake pipe, you would probably have to remove the battery and battery tray in order to remove the 4 bolts holding it to the block, and thats exactly where it attaches too, the engine block, just below the rocker cover, this appears to be the final oil leak I have that needs fixing, it has an electrical connection plugged into the top of it, at first I thought it was a breather pipe.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, ive just registered for service box after seeing your picture, it was a great help, I think that part has something to do with the variable valve lift motor, in the picture below, im pretty sure thats the part you can see sticking out the back of the section I photographed in the original picture, maybe you can confirm:

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a sensor for the variable valve lift system its bolted to the head not the block
OH DAMN !!! and thanks, my mechanic just suggested to me that it might be easier just to lift the whole engine out of the car to get the back of it, sort out any oil leaks at the back and then just drop it back in, that motor is right at the back and with the engine set right back against the bulkhead, its going to be a PITA to get too, id says windscreen wipers would have to come off so you can remove the cover below them, battery and box out, air filter unit out, and possibly the engine mounts so you can push the engine forward slightly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it actually leaving a mess though as these engines are heavy drinkers at times
All over the bottom engine cover, it was that thick with oil and dirt that I took the cover off, took it to the jet wash to blast it all off, made a mess of the jetwash lol.

But as the view is a bit restrictive, I can see the oil over that sensor and the air filter box as far as I can see, I got thrown off the scent of that oil leak as it originally had another oil leak at the bottom oil filter housing seal which was really bad, and the vacuum pump (replaced with a new pump), but after those were all fixed and still losing loads of oil, it lead me to look elsewhere, thats when me and my mech discovered this one.

Im starting to wonder if its having breathing problems and blowing out seals because of it, however, vacuum seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
14,951 Posts
vacuum is nothing to do with the crankcase so it could well be blowing the oil out/heavy breathing

vacuum comes from the vac pump/intake manifold depending on engine type

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vacuum is nothing to do with the crankcase so it could well be blowing the oil out/heavy breathing

vacuum comes from the vac pump/intake manifold depending on engine type
Sorry im kind of new to these engines and learning very quickly as I go along, could you possibly explain that to me a bit, the engine is an EP6 NA non turbo.

The only way ive tested the vacuum on it so far is to remove the pipe on the left of the engine, the one that comes out from the cam cover and runs off down the back of the engine, I know there is some sort of diaphram type thing in the rocker cover too just behind where this pipe connects too, that appears to be fine, no tears etc, and the pipe is definatly sucking, i believe that pipe goes off to some sort of valve behind the engine somewhere, but never actually seen or tested that valve.

The vacuum pump on the other side of the engine is driven by the exhaust cam, I tried to fix this part by taking it apart when it was leaking oil, but no matter what I did, it just seemed to continue to leak oil, ive since replaced this with a brand new one, the oil leak from there has stopped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts