Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fault that i believe (from the power of google) that changing the oil filter will fix.

can i just change the filter alone without draining the oil?
reason being is car was serviced few months ago and have a spare filter so thought why not.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
There would be no problem with that, the only oil spillage would be what was in the filter housing. Just out of interest, what exactly is the fault?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There would be no problem with that, the only oil spillage would be what was in the filter housing. Just out of interest, what exactly is the fault?
"oil pressure low" or something like that keeps flashing when car is stopped or on very low revs.

I read someone changed there oil filter as it had broken, and fixed the fault.

I can't seem to get the oil filter housing off with my breaker bar atm as I can't find my extender. all fun and games.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
ok, good luck with it and I hope it clears the fault :thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it worked yay! thinking ill do my next service myself, there is no way the oil is only a few months old.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You expected to find it with better color?

You won't. A "few months old" oil will look as black as a 2yo oil. It's properties though, won't be the same.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny you should mention the bit as there was a fair few bitty parts in there, so yes a oil change is a must. Normally I do it all myself, but the paper work claims it was done not long ago when I bought the car a few weeks ago.

·
11,780 Posts
If its a diesel the oil goes black immediately. Its normal.

Some people claim its the sulphur / soot / chambers of oil in a diesel engine.

Google "why is diesel oil so dirty".

·
Registered
20 Posts
I respectfully disagree that the engine oil will become black immediately ....i drive HGVs for a living which often have mileage of 500,000km yet still have clear engine oil - it's all about changing the oil REGULARLY! .... however, i suspect that the HGVs oil was changes every 6 weeks due to mileage..

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
on pugs they go black quickly

my green 2.0 hdi has 142k. ive done about 20k since ive had it and ive changed the oil and filter at least 7 times. it had full service history up to this time

it still goes back within a day or 2 but when it comes out its still slick :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
I respectfully disagree that the engine oil will become black immediately ....i drive HGVs for a living which often have mileage of 500,000km yet still have clear engine oil - it's all about changing the oil REGULARLY! .... however, i suspect that the HGVs oil was changes every 6 weeks due to mileage..
Off topic now but I also drove HGVs , a Volvo F10 I drove only had an oil change once a year which was at least 100K per year , the oil stayed relatively clear for around 3/4 months before starting to turn black and ending up as black and thin as ink by the year end. A guy from Fuchs used to turn up to change the oil (fully Synthetic) and take away a sample for analysis ,never had a problem with the engine and now use Fuchs fully synthetic in my diesel cars .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts