Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 59 plate 5008. I’ve had it 2 years and have no idea how the Rear DVDs work. Much to the kids’ disappointment.
It seems to need an additional DVD player to plug into the aux in order to insert a DVD, as there are no slots in the screens.
But what do I buy? And what sort of cable?

ive asked this so many times but no one can give me a straight answer.
I’d really love to use the screens!

ive messaged Peugeot, who say ask my local dealer. My local dealer says he has no idea, the model is too old for him to know.

I’d be SO grateful for some simple, specific, detailed help of exactly what to buy and how to do it.

TIA!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, did you get anywhere with this, I've just bought a 5008 with dvd screens but they use av cables which is shite as it is all usb and hdmi now a days, did you solve anything

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, did you get anywhere with this, I've just bought a 5008 with dvd screens but they use av cables which is shite as it is all usb and hdmi now a days, did you solve anything
No one has replied apart from you. It’s rubbish isn’t it! I had a Mitsubishi Outlander previously, same reg year, dvd unit is in the roof and the DVDs just go in there. Simple!
Can anyone help please??

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's not rubbish, it's old.

The mitsubishi might have had a dvd slot, but I bet it wouldn't play Blu-ray (and didn't have usb-c or HDMI inputs) - and if the read laser failed you're stuck with trying to source a 12 year old integrated dvd player...

At least you can plug a playstation directly into the pug A/V ports ;)

If you want to connect current tech (phone or tablet) to the screens, you'll probably need an HDMI to A/V converter - for older stuff like a dvd player with a scart you'll need a different adaptor.

But, unless you've got decade+ old kit laying about you've got to balance whether it's worth it...

If you're wanting to play movies that are on a tablet, just use the tablet - the screen is probably better anyway. An aux lead would still give you audio.

If you'll have to get a dvd player, you can get a portable one with a screen for under 50 quid.

This is the problem with integrated toys - they go out of date and become useless within a few years...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much
As they are there I did want to use them
I was using ‘rubbish’ to refer to the fact I couldn’t use them and nor could the person who first responded to my question.
I love the car and am only now considering changing it as it is starting to give me the dreaded DPF woes; and having paid over £600 to get this sorted on a previous vehicle I’d rather cut my losses and change the car. It’s done 88k so time to change anyway.

So are you saying I’d need to purchase a portable DVD player and if so, exactly what leads would I also need to purchase please?

·
7,061 Posts
Have you checked under the passenger seat I had an 807 a good few years ago with a rear screens and there was a DVD player under the front passenger seat. I am not sure if they were original or aftermarket fit.

There is also this link to the original Handbook which shows it fitted in the centre console

5008 Manual

Reactions: Boardiegirl

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
PSA have a previous history of hiding stuff in odd locations.

Early 406 owners handbook pack on a shelf under the passenger seat.

206 hidden compartment revealed when you lifted & folded the front passenger seat cushion forward.

Pretty sure the Xantia handbook pack was also well hidden.

Friend of mine his parents had a mk1 Mondeo - after a couple of years they happened to look under the passenger seat & found a factory fit cd changer hidden there.

If the screens where factory fitted then its highly likely there is a dvd player hidden somewhere or at least some wires where the dvd player once was.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks both, as soon as it’s back from the garage having the DPF cleared I will have a good look and let you know!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Seems this question appears on the Internet a few times about the 5008.

Apprantly a dvd disc can be inserted in to the cd player slot in the dash - might be worth looking closer at your infotainment unit in the front.

·
Registered
357 Posts
As they are there I did want to use them
I was using ‘rubbish’ to refer to the fact I couldn’t use them and nor could the person who first responded to my question
Well, pop back to 2008 and buy a portable dvd player from Tesco, they all had a/v outputs back then - it's not the car's fault that the incidental technology built into it has fallen into obsolescence over the last 11 years.

If you're thinking of changing the car it seems pointless to buy something now, anything you get probably won't work in anything newer.

(Oh, and at 88k the engine is less than a third of the way through it's potential life - it might cost £500 to sort the dpf but how much will you lose changing to another car?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, pop back to 2008 and buy a portable dvd player from Tesco, they all had a/v outputs back then - it's not the car's fault that the incidental technology built into it has fallen into obsolescence over the last 11 years.

If you're thinking of changing the car it seems pointless to buy something now, anything you get probably won't work in anything newer.

(Oh, and at 88k the engine is less than a third of the way through it's potential life - it might cost £500 to sort the dpf but how much will you lose changing to another car?)
Gosh, I’m only saying that dvd screens are pointless unless they can be fixed up to work. And that no one in 2 yrs has been able to explain how to do that.

I have loved my 5008 and have kept it two years which is about the maximum for me. I’d never had a Peugeot before and have been impressed with its drive, gadgets and spacious proportions.
But recently I’ve paid out a fair amount on it and with it approaching 90k it’ll be worthless if I keep it much longer; who wants to buy a car with high mileage? It’s current value is only around £2k at best. There comes a time when we need to make a decision; keep paying out or move on. And I always move on.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate them all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems this question appears on the Internet a few times about the 5008.

Apprantly a dvd disc can be inserted in to the cd player slot in the dash - might be worth looking closer at your infotainment unit in the front.
A dvd can go in the dash but it only plays on the satnav screen unfortunately Mr Lee.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts