Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to get the 2 Front springs in my 307 replaced. The garage I sent it to called the other day to ask if I had noticed any issues with the wipers, which I hadn't. The mechanic said that something was off with the linkage when they were trying to remove it to fit the springs. They had the car over the weekend and I called them on Monday to see if it was ready. He told me that they had to fit a new linkage, which is costing me £135 and that the old one had cracked the windscreen when they were removing it. They are paying Auto glass to fit a new windscreen, but I can't figure out how a wiper linkage would cause the windscreen to crack?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Why did they need to remove the linkage would be what I would ask them.
I've done the front springs one 307's and never needed to do that to undo to strut bolt.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My father had the wiper linkage go a couple years ago, resulting in it cracking the windscreen as the linkage arm got bent up into the windscreen.

But i'm sure there would be no reason to touch the wipers to replace the front springs / shockers and if there was no issue with the wipers before taking it to the garage i would be asking questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't been down to the garage. Only spoken to the guy over the phone. I intend to ask him how the screen cracked and show me whats wrong with the linkage when I go pick the car up later.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes i would too and check if anything has been changed as you could probably pick one up cheap enough from a scrappy but i've yet to have a wiper linkage go on me yet although they can wear. :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just watched multiple videos of people replacing the shocks/springs on a 307 and not one of them had to remove the linkage. The only thing they did was turn the wipers on to move the linkage for better access to the bolts.
I'm starting to think they might have cracked the screen on accident and want to recoup some of the cost of replacing it. Linkage from a breakers is only about £20-30.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If the wipers where in the 'special position' for changing blades, 45deg accross screen with the wiper arms where left raised off the screen and if bonnet was up and the wipers where then set back to normal parked position the bonnet inteferes with the path of arms and they slam hard into the screen resulting in a cracked screen near bottom middle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Was that a question or what actually happened ? the springs on the wipers are strong so i would assume if they were up and got knocked then there would be a possibility of it cracking the screen.

If it was my car and i knew there was nothing wrong with the wipers, screen etc when i left the car, i would expect any garage to pay for all damages as i assume they have insurance to cover such incidents.

·
Registered
14,628 Posts
They broke it tell them your not paying for a linkage that was not broken when it went in tell them a used 1 would only cost £30 at most anyway so that is all it should be costing anyway.

Sound like chancers !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts