Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start a thread for anyone trying to convert their Peugeot van into a campervan!

I'll get the ball rolling.

I've got a 2010 Expert Van (L1 H1 HDi 90) which I picked up from a dealer (ex-lease, one owner) in pretty good condition for £8.4k (£7k+VAT)

So far I've given it a good clean out - replaced a few scratched internal/external surrounds, etc and insulated, ply lined and carpeted it throughout.

I'm an outdoors person so I'm looking for something to take to the mountains and use as a base for walking/climbing. It's pretty much good to go now (with an airbed, sleeping bag, etc). Eventually I'd like a bespoke conversion but only when money allows!

Problem I've come across so far include:

1) Switching out the double passenger seat for a single (to allow access from the front to the back) - complicated by the seatbelt pretensioner in the middle seat (see http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/vans-16/removing-passenger-seats-airbag-warnings-26718/)

2) I've used a rather dark carpet which makes the back a bit grim - should have used a much lighter grey. Am thinking about putting in some rear windows with 100% privacy glass.

3) It's cold! Despite the interior work, without a decent heater it's cold up them mountains :) A roof vent would give me a bit more security when using gas appliances.

Anyway, would love to hear from others battling through similar issues. I'll be honest and say that I really wanted a VW T4/T5 - mainly because hundreds have been converted before and there's so much help and advice about - but the money was just too much. Anyway, I love my Expert now :)

D

·
0 Posts
Your better off without the grief of a VW anyway :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi there,

I did some conversion work on the previous model...

to 3)
Good isolation on the floor is essential. I used 2 times 15mm insulation foam plus a decent high grade caret on top.
For the windows suction cups and cotton liner. Helps against cold draft.
Cold inside? Heck... get yourself a decent down sleeping bag.... :D

Cheers and a good one....

Mike

D

·
0 Posts
If you're wiring up electrics up in the back eg an inverter, lighting it would be interesting to post up a few pics of the project. I'm very interested in doing a camper conversion at some stage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're wiring up electrics up in the back eg an inverter, lighting it would be interesting to post up a few pics of the project. I'm very interested in doing a camper conversion at some stage.
Will do. Currently trying to find a good location for a 110amp leisure battery - hoping to try and squeeze it in the engine compartment! As it's only a small vehicle there won't be much going on but want to be able to run a couple of lights, inverter and possibly water pump in the future. Plus will possibly be stationery for a few days.

D

·
0 Posts
I had a campervan VW(heap) LT35 in New Zealand and the leisure battery was fitted under the the bed in a vented box made of fibreglass. Don't know how it charged as there would have been a nice voltage drop between the engine and where it was located pretty much at the rear. This van was 6.5m long.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a campervan VW(heap) LT35 in New Zealand and the leisure battery was fitted under the the bed in a vented box made of fibreglass. Don't know how it charged as there would have been a nice voltage drop between the engine and where it was located pretty much at the rear. This van was 6.5m long.
Yeah most end up being located somewhere in the back (also seen in between front seats too) but they're not small and as you say, need a decent box and venting. I've was quite surprised with the amount of room in the engine compartment (certainly compared to the first and second gen Experts I've seen pics of!) - probably helped by the main battery being under the driver's seat - so that's still my first plan - when I get round to it ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi mate, I wanted a camper van last year but the prices are mad, so I built myself one, in fact I built two last year, the first a Renault traffic, the second in a pugeot boxer, as I wanted more room.
If you have any questions let me know, will post you some pics later,

·
Registered
47 Posts
just came to my mind... I fitted 2 tables in the rear doors....perfect to eat. Saves the room to transport tables and chairs.
Will take pictures and post them in the afternoon. Simple setup really.....but PRACTICAL :thumb:

Batteries:
there are 6V Batteries on the market... give you more flexibility for placement...and they don't gas, since they are sealed. You can place them upside down as well......if you like....
Optima/RedTop automotive battery (6V) | Specialty Automotive Battery | AutoZone.com

I used a 200Ah solar panel battery...made a hold down and fittet it inside the car.
a 12V - 230V converter...and a battery charger.... now I am ready to go :)

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
ok...here we go.

FYI
I do not have a real camper..it is a very slight modification. I need my interiour to transport my dirt bikes.... usually one or two. On the camp ground I unsload them and sleep in the van. No kitchen or sink (I check if there are decent bars on the camp ground before hand :D )
Anyhow, I have a small gas cooker...and these tables build in the doors. Removed the original panels and installed these custom fit 7ply birch wood tables. Coated them with a semi gloss epoxy coating, protecting against moisture.

Used piano hindge (not sure if this translates properly... those 4 foot long thin hinges ) and small magnets, mounted flush on the wood surface.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the carpet from here:

Veltrim Easy Liner (Carpet Lining)

Used £150 worth for the walls, floor and ceiling.

They're really good. I chose the Anthracite - still not sure whether I'd have preferred the lighter grey - would end up not being so dark but then would show up dirt and scuff marks more I guess.

No windows - all van!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I turned my work van ( expert 08 ) into a day van but I still use it for work so not got loads of stuff in it , I insulated the whole of the back with bubble foil and wool insulation , but underfloor heating in it I have 4 spots fitted in the ceiling and have a 1000w inverter running off a leisure battery behind the drivers seat , it's very warm in the winter and cool in the summer , I have some photos on my profile

1 - 20 of 26 Posts