Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a 2007 PEUGEOT EXPERT 1000 1.6 HDi 90 H1 Van. It's done 40,000 miles and hasn't had a cambelt change. Does it need one please? I've googled it but get many conflicting answers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a 2007 PEUGEOT EXPERT 1000 1.6 HDi 90 H1 Van. It's done 40,000 miles and hasn't had a cambelt change. Does it need one please? I've googled it but get many conflicting answers.

Thanks.
According to peugeotlogic.com who according to the website are an independent technical information site for Peugeot owners, the interval is as follows...

All HDi engines without particle filter: 120 000 km or 6 years

All HDi engines with particle filter: 180 000 km or 9 years

Maybe davidireland can confirm the correct interval if & when he reads this post.

edit - davidireland must have been writing his reply at the same time as I was and beat me to it. Anyways - I'd certainly steer clear of any vehicle that needed a cambelt changing after only 40,000 miles.

D

·
0 Posts
There is no interval set in stone. You won't find it written down. My rule of thumb is 2.0hdi, 120k kms. 1.6hdi, 200,000k kms, most petrols are 120,000k kms. All or five years. To be honest usually after five yrs waterpumps are leaking so it time for them to be done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for your replies.

To be honest the cost of a decent 2nd hand van has suprised me. I've owned my previous Expert for 9 years and the cost of buying an equivalent replacement has increased by over 50%. I probably shouldn't be suprised, you just lose track of how prices rise.

I could do with not spending anymore money on it for a couple of months, do you think I'd get away with it? The van has a FSH, carried out by an authorised dealer.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
Your van has done very low miles so has spent a lot of time idle so rubber may deteriorate quicker spending long periods in 1 position leading to cracking it is also 6 years old and in your case age is the reason for replacement not miles you may well get a bit more from it depends on how big your balls are :)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Haynes manual says 'It is strongly recommended that the timing belt renewal interval is reduced to 36,000 miles for vehicles subjected to intensive use, ie. mainly short journeys or a lot of stop start driving'.

This is what my 307 hand books says :

'Replacement of timing belt every 96,000 miles (2.0 l HDI 90/110) and 144,000 miles for (1,4 HDI). Arduous conditions replace at 72,000 miles.

So Haynes are half of the Peugeot recommended interval.

As a working vehicle a van would come under the arduous label - if you follow Mr Haynes advice, it needs a new cambelt. If you follow the Peugeot advice, you can wait for another 32,000 miles before changing. Over to you.

My 2.0 hdi did 125,000 on the same cambelt - but then this was a gamble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts