Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need a quick answer on this, 2002, 307, 2.0Hdi, 44k on the clock. I say the cambelt should have been done after 5 years am I correct???

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
10 yrs or 100k. I've done 120k without a cambelt change - may break tomorrow may not - but then its £300 to change on a car that's about to fall apart - so I'm not changing it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for quick answers guys, cannot believe Peugeot recommend leaving it that long:eek:

C

·
0 Posts
Or a Nissan micra. What a bloody pain!

Sent from my ARCHOS 80 COBALT using AutoGuide.Com Free App

C

·
0 Posts
You had the EML on Cris? when the chain exceeds 10mm stretch ! Pain in the arse....
Yeah exactly that, was an one of the families cars and was needed sharpish so it ended up at dealers, then found out it's a common one on them. Put me off Nissan there and then!

Sent from my ARCHOS 80 COBALT using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
500 Posts
What I would like to know is who had the idea to use cam belts - what's wrong with chains?
Many many years ago I used to own a Vauxhall Viva HB with a OHC engine. This was the first car I had seen that was belt driven. In those days I think the belt had to be changed every 40,000 miles or something ridiculous. Things have thankfully improved. Chains can wear or stretch too.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Any new car i get usually gets a full service and timing bits replaced regardless.
:cool: is easier to replace them at home than on a motorway! That plus being a mechanic and paying for breakdown cover doesn't sit well although even a car in top shape can still chuck its dummy out if it wants to.
:nod:
1 thing that is obvious is that newer cars do need a lot more attention which apart from performing better are probably in the grand scheme of dealers getting more money out of us.
Yes i said it lol.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
i brought my car with 120000 miles there was no history it had been done

i changed it regardless including the water pump that was slowly failing

i now have new coolant and brake fluid too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts