Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of trying to sort a whine on my girlfriends 206 LD.
Last week I changed the cambelt as a kit with tensioner and pulley, and the waterpump, and serpentine belt. Everything went fine, but the engine had a whine whivch increases with engine speed. The car runs fine and was driven short journeys for a couple of days to see if it would 'bed in'.
I then removed the serpentine belt as a first attempt at tracing the cause of the whine.
Next was to remove the cambelt covers. No difference, and no sign of any contact.
But the the outward edge of the cambelt was frayed and there were fibres everywhere.
Another new belt purchased and fitted, still the same whine and the belt wsa almost immediately showing signs of wear on the outside edge.
Decided to refit each item replaced, one at a time to try and find the culprit. So refitted the original cambelt idler and tested... no change. Then the original tensioner.... no change. Last night I refitted the original waterpump, and the whine is still ther along with a visible deteriation in the cambelt.
The cambelt seems to be running right at the edge of the injector pump sprocket no matter where you leave it when you fit and tension, and I think the wear/damage to the cambelt is being caused by the belt running hard against the back of the crank pulley(what's left after you remove the damped serpentine belt pulley)
I would appreciate anybodies previous experiences with this as I have exhausted my options with regards to a new part being faulty.
Thanks in advance

Colin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
these may sound stupid replies but always look for the easiest first ,did you check the new belt against the old,also when you look across the face of the engine are all the pulleys in line .had this happen before where the pump or the tensioner pulley was was a fraction out of line

·
Registered
122 Posts
ive just helped repair a 2.0ltr hdi model this weekend with the exact same problem, as it has been stated above you will need to replace the belt tensioner, and have the professionally aligned, and this will sort this,m the reason the tensioner go out of align is basically wear & tear and how the car is driven, or the belt has been due for a change for quite some time, causing the tensioner to miss align due to over heating and friction, is easily sorted by a pro. Regards whistler

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.