Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps,

I'm about to get a bloke I know to change my cambelt on my 1.6 hdi, I want to buy the parts myself to save some money and get him to fit them. This bloke comes to your house and does the work at yours! I am lookin on eBay, but what is the best brand to buy for timing belt kits.... Also what other parts should I also replace if I am doing my cambelt (bearing in mind I've got 151k on the clock-2005 model)...

Finally, how much should I give this mechanic just to change the cambelt? How long should the job take?

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
First of buy the Haynes manual for the Peugeot 307 01 to 08 (Y to 58 reg) (book number 4147)
ISBN 978 1 84425 800 0
The book will cost about €26 (about 22 pounds sterling)

It gives instructions on what to do when changing the belt.

FOLLOW the instructions to the letter. The alternative is not worth considering.

Via eBay you can find just a belt or an entire kit.
Check the history of your car to see when the entire distribution kit was changed; there is a maximum length of time/mileage between replacement intervals.

It could take a few hours depending on whether the mechanic has the tools and the experience with peugeot cars.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
if i was me i would get the full kit as its peace of mind that you have new parts and not just the belt,

the guy that done mine charged me £120 inc the kit this is where its sometimes good to let him get the kit as the guy that done mine gets a very good discount on parts i thought i would get it and maybe cheaper but the price he got it for was shocking my local motorfactors they said its a steal at that price told me get him to get the kit as we dont get it at that price,

:)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry guys thanks for all responses but I'm still not sure which brand of cambelt to buy- i.e continental?...

Also, what should be included in a timing belt kit- I.e. Waterpump, the belt, what else?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
am 90% sure ive got the gates kit on mine the kits come with the belt and idler & tensioner with bolt they dont come with a water pump thats extra but worth doing while your at it:thumb:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any idea if the fan belt needs changing while I'm at it...or any other parts for that matter...

Thanks for the help guys...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Diesel filter if it hasn't been changed in the last 2 to 3 years.

Fuel Injectors if the car has been driven (mostly) on short distances, certianly change the viton rubber rings on the connectors going to the injectors.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Diesel filter if it hasn't been changed in the last 2 to 3 years.

Fuel Injectors if the car has been driven (mostly) on short distances, certianly change the viton rubber rings on the connectors going to the injectors.
My last 307 with 256,000 miles never seen new injectors, but change your fan belt :thumb:

·
Registered
176 Posts
My father in law, and 2 work mates all driving short distances every day around town, etc.
Long story short all had injector problems.

Father in law cured his by going for a blast from Amsterdam to Berlin, 50km of road at one section averaging 160km per hour (a bit slow).
It did the trick and 3 weeks later the injector jamed. Peugeot Holland charged him €290 to replace the injectors.

Similar situations with my work mates (1 driving a 307, the other a citroen)

·
Registered
52 Posts
sorry guys thanks for all responses but I'm still not sure which brand of cambelt to buy- i.e continental?...
I replaced my belt recently and went with Gates after reading various opinions on Gates vs Dayco vs Contitech etc. The original belt was a Dayco.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to conclude the post,

I got my water pump and cabelt changed, guy charged me 80 quid to fit them, i paid for the parts 85, so total is 165......

unfortunately realised i should of changed the fan belt while I was at it....but i geuss i could do that myself...

also, the 'grating' sound which had prompted me to change these things in the first place hasnt stopped, so im still slightly confused but at least peace of mind that the cambelt is ok for next 50,000 or so miles..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Where does it sound like the grating sound is coming from? If it's the top cam cover area then it could be the cam chain.

D

·
0 Posts
Just to conclude the post,

I got my water pump and cabelt changed, guy charged me 80 quid to fit them, i paid for the parts 85, so total is 165......

unfortunately realised i should of changed the fan belt while I was at it....but i geuss i could do that myself...

also, the 'grating' sound which had prompted me to change these things in the first place hasnt stopped, so im still slightly confused but at least peace of mind that the cambelt is ok for next 50,000 or so miles..
God the guy robbed himself. I'd get Triple that here. :nod:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts