Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to these forums, and will possibly be an owner of a Peugeot very soon. I'm looking at getting a 58 plate, 308 1.6 vti se, this week. It has done approximately 51,000 miles, without any mention of the cam chain ever being replaced, in the service history. Does anyone know what the recommended age/mileage is for replacing one? I've heard of some nightmare stories of the chain stretching and snapping. roughly, how much would I be looking at getting it replaced ?

Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
there isnt usually an interval for replacement. they are 'designed' to last the life of the engine,hence you only replace if they cause problems i.e rattling, out of time, excessive stretching etc.

VTI/THP engines do go through them more often but even then id just advise waiting until there are any issues or noises

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't think 1.6 VTi has a chain, it is belt. Generally, car makers plans change after 100-150.000 km or every five years, which is first. You can find right info in car manual. Whit belt it is recommended to change pulley and water-pump as well.

·
Registered
888 Posts
there isnt usually an interval for replacement. they are 'designed' to last the life of the engine,hence you only replace if they cause problems i.e rattling, out of time, excessive stretching etc.

VTI/THP engines do go through them more often but even then id just advise waiting until there are any issues or noises
Oh, so it is chain in this engine? In this case you're right about replacement.

·
Registered
202 Posts
yes the VTI and THP engines both stem from the PSA-BMW agreement and all use chains and the BMW variable valve timing technology to varying degrees

on a side note, watch for the oil consumption on the vti - they can drink up to 1L per 1000 miles

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes the VTI and THP engines both stem from the PSA-BMW agreement and all use chains and the BMW variable valve timing technology to varying degrees

on a side note, watch for the oil consumption on the vti - they can drink up to 1L per 1000 miles
Thanks for the info. First French car I've ever owned (or will be, pending an RAC inspection) , always had vauxhall or ford. 1 litre per 1,000 miles? That's a thirsty engine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
yes they are, these and the THP engines all use a fair bit of oil, poor PCV design which was revised post 2010 (at least on THP engines) which helped, but still consume oil. 1L per 1000 miles should be worst case scenario, my THP uses about 600ml per 1000 miles. short journeys cause it to burn more

·
Registered
10 Posts

Hi. I want to purchase a 2008 Peugeot 308 SW 1.6L THP 150HP estate with KM 147 000. After hearing of the costs to replace a cam chain, how can I confirm the replacement interval recommended by Peugeot? Regards Olly

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think 1.6 VTi has a chain, it is belt. Generally, car makers plans change after 100-150.000 km or every five years, which is first. You can find right info in car manual. Whit belt it is recommended to change pulley and water-pump as well.
Hi. I want to purchase a 2008 Peugeot 308 SW 1.6L THP 150HP estate with KM 147 000. After hearing of the costs to replace a cam chain, how can I confirm the replacement interval recommended by Peugeot? Regards Olly

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
There is no real replacement strategy by peugeot they initially reconed the chain would last forever and a day :)

50k miles or so seems about the real world average it does depend on driving style and oil changes though as i have seen neglected engines with 40k miles rattling like an old corsa i personaly had a THP with 89k miles and chain was fine as it had been serviced much more regularly than peugeot recommend.

At the end of the day i believe luck is the deciding factor some are lucky some are not !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh, so it is chain in this engine? In this case you're right about replacement.
There is no real replacement strategy by peugeot they initially reconed the chain would last forever and a day :)

50k miles or so seems about the real world average it does depend on driving style and oil changes though as i have seen neglected engines with 40k miles rattling like an old corsa i personaly had a THP with 89k miles and chain was fine as it had been serviced much more regularly than peugeot recommend.

At the end of the day i believe luck is the deciding factor some are lucky some are not !
Hi. Reliable406. I will be a first time PSA owner!! LOL! ... Thank you for this info, which does seem correct from my research as well, with no specific 'replacement of cam-chain' interval recommended. (This is quite strange!).The 308 SW, which I want to purchase is a 2008 with Km147 000 genuine Km's. Its the seating, loading possibilities for my work, and the ride comfort which has attracted me to this 308 SW. And a price of Eur 4500 in Spain. After doing extensive research on the cam-chain 'issues', and 'possible' turbo problems on these 1.6L THP 150Bhp petrol turbo engines ... I am quite worried that I will be saddled with the inevitable Eur 1000+ cam-chain replacement costs, within the next year or two. (or the turbo?) ... If this happens, then this vehicle becomes an expensive buy - quickly!! .... Would you say that maybe I am panicking unnecessarily, and perhaps the ratio of 308 SW that develop these problems is small ... and worth the cost-risk outlay?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
To be honest i would expect the chain WILL need replaced quite soon as the distance it has covered is more than most would manage !
As for the turbo i dont think they are that prone to fail again looking after the oil looks after the turbo if the car has been regularly serviced it will probably be fine but keep some money handy for the chain just incase.

In all honesty its not the best engine but they are not all bad part of the issue is neglect by owners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To be honest i would expect the chain WILL need replaced quite soon as the distance it has covered is more than most would manage !
As for the turbo i dont think they are that prone to fail again looking after the oil looks after the turbo if the car has been regularly serviced it will probably be fine but keep some money handy for the chain just incase.

In all honesty its not the best engine but they are not all bad part of the issue is neglect by owners.
Hi. Yeh, the turbo does seem fine and turbos are less prone to immediate breakdown. They should normally give a tell-tale sign. ..... Yes, it has been serviced quite regularly. Every Km 30 000 in Germany, with official Dealer stamps etc ... then a km 50000 interval until serviced a month ago in Spain. I have these very authentic looking documents, so I must assume they are good. The Spanish used-car Dealer is providing me with a 12 month Guaranty/Warranty for failures, as they have their own garage as well, and the dealership does have a very good reputation in my area. But the Warranty is in Spanish!! LOL!! , so its hard for me to read the "small print"!.... I would imagine these used car 'warranties' do not cover 'wear & tare' parts like a cam-chain, unless it breaks (fails!). So ... it does seem like its gonna be "luck" for me, if I chance another Km 50 000 without replacing the cam-chain ... Or I try negotiate for the dealer to change the cam-chain now?? ... But then again, its the old philosophy "if it aint broke - dont fix it"!! .... Wow, I did not realize how finicky these Peugeot's can be, especially if not serviced properly, and how do we really know if they have been? ... Flip, I have to decide by tomorrow morning. LOL!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts