Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am booking my 307 in for a service next month and the garage told me I should get a new cam belt. My car is 04 registered, with just 29,000 miles on the clock, I only use the car for short journeys. Should I need a new cam belt at this stage?

Bunty

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
140,000 miles or 10 years whatever comes first or 96,000 miles if you do a lot of small trips ,
i do mine every 70,000 miles just to be sure ( taxi driver ),
think your garage is looking for a bonus,
29,000 ? i think you`re alright for now ( i`ve over 200,000 on mine.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice, I thought the garage were 'pulling my chain' just coz I'm a woman...cheers

Bunty:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cam Belts

Hi,

Is there any warning given when a cam belt (on Pug 307) is about to go?

bunty

G

·
Nope, then engine will just die.

Even a visual inpection is unlikely to show anything, unless you've caught it at the precice moment it's on deaths door. Aged belts sometimes snap, but just as often strip teeth and the only way to reliably check is to remove the belt, turn it inside out and inspect it, but by the time you've gone to that effort you may as well slap a new one on in it's place.

For what it costs, I'd be inclined to replace it every 5 years. It's pretty cheap for the peace of mind it brings. The real plus side for you on such a low miler is you can probably dispence with new ilder and tensioner pulleys (assumin an inspection shows them to be tickedyboo) and just have the belt itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cam Belts

Thanks for your comments. The garage told me it will cost about £150 to get a new Cam belt fitted, thats why I am hesitant in getting in done, especially if a new belt isn't needed.

Bunty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts