Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to replace the rotors on my 308, but can't work out what I need to remove the caliper carrier bolts. A 13mm socket fits on the end, but since the bolts are a sort of star design (refer attachment), any attempt to remove them just rounds the points. I long for the ease it was on my old BMW, where all nuts and bots were bog standard.

Update: I assume it's a female torx socket I require.. any idea what size?

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts

You assume correct - DONT try and remove with a standard socket or you may end up with a bolt you cannot remove.

Not sure on size - TBH owning a peugeot you'd be wise to buy a strip of male and female torx - beware of aware of very cheap sets made of cheese but at the same time you can usually pick up a basic set for £10 each off amazon etc.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

You assume correct - DONT try and remove with a standard socket or you may end up with a bolt you cannot remove.

Not sure on size - TBH owning a peugeot you'd be wise to buy a strip of male and female torx - beware of aware of very cheap sets made of cheese but at the same time you can usually pick up a basic set for £10 each off amazon etc.
I agree - definitely don't use anything other than a female torx socket - you'll knacker everything up and make the job a nightmare.

Definitely buy as many different types of socket you can get hold of/afford. I quickly learned that Peugeot don't like to standardise their fixings. You'll need an array of sockets and bits, and better quality will be worth the extra cost.

Make sure you've got plenty of WD or similar too - the calliper bolts can seize and be a horror to get out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I had a couple of male torx socket sets, but never imagined I'd need the female sockets. Crazy! Anyway, I have a set in hand now, so will (attempt to) tackle the job tomorrow. Surely getting those bolts out can't be much worse than getting those damn anti rattle clips back on? :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just thought I'd follow up to say that I finally got around to doing the job. I ended up using a rattle gun to get the carrier bolts out (16mm male torx bolts, for future reference!) Not much else to report, except perhaps to note that Peugeot service in Australia had clearly used no lubrication on any of the brake components at all - it was only 10,000 km ago I had them replace the rotors under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts