Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 307 1.4 hdi style. 5W40 is my recommended oil. I can get castrol 0w30 edge turbo diesel fully synthetic oil for alot cheaper than the 5w40 as my local store is doing a clearance.

Im just wondering whats the difference between castrol 5w40 and 0w30. Should I buy the 0w30 more importantly???

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
0W-30 is especially suitable for extreme conditions where conventional oil often cannot perform.

5w 40 is what i use on a 1.4hdi, i would say it`s recommended for a reason and i wouldn`t mess about with something that is so essential.:nod:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can get 0w30 for £20(4 litres). 4 litres of 5w40 is costing me £40. Oh well, pity they didnt have 5w40.

Homebase are doing great offers on the castrol oil.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Can`t be that much of a difference 5l of 5w 40 is costing me £24.51 somebody`s sticking it too you bigtime.(just checked my reciepts).:eek:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where you getting it from, what brand you using.

·
Registered
239 Posts
0W30 is ideal for turbo-ed cars because it gets round the engine faster as its so thing and full synthetic ( better to use synthetic as your car is designed to run on it ) £20 5 litre for 5W40/10W40 is average,

0W30 is more for the power nuts and very good for the turbo and if your in that category you need to double your oil&filter change times like every 5K "not" 20K for the normal drivers.

G

·
Use the 5w 40 - these thin grades are funny things to pump and even a slight change at this level can cause unexpected oil pressure issues. 5w 40 is very widesperead and easy to obtain (I've just refreshed the 5w 40 in my 407), so I can't see any sensible reason for not wanting to use it i that's what pug recommend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts