Peugeot Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I understand that the Puretech 1.2 cambelt runs in oil, and has a habit of shedding bits which block the oilways, so not a good prospect. Come to think of it, if its running rough, that could be the cause.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My best advice would be to read this thread through from the beginning to see what opinions have already been given. Personally I prefer diesel engines to petrol engines for their better driveability to petrol engines but they are getting a whipping by those with an axe to grind. This does mean that you benefit from depressed prices as a buyer though.

It's difficult to be certain but it sounds as though the trips your wife would take would be enough to activate the DPF cleaning cycle. How many miles has the 308 diesel done? Do you know what sort of life it's had? Lots of short journeys? Mainly motorway driving? Or what?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Where and how it's been driven is actually more important than how many miles. Long motorway miles are better in every way compared to city start stop driving.
As an example, my T9 has now done 41k miles in almost 4 years. It still has the original front discs, and they are well within spec. Still has the original pads too for that matter. Others I know have required new discs in under 20k miles.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I had gone through the thread and found the idea that the Puretech might "lunch its cambelt" somewhat alarming, nor do I much like the idea that it runs in oil. I instinctively feel that that sort of thing should be left to chain cambelts (well not a belt, obviously.)
If anything I see a slight preference for diesels, if they've been used as intended. The one we're considering is a March 2017 car with 11,000 miles on the clock so we can probably say it hasn't been used as intended! I think we just need to drive it to see how it feels compared to the petrol car.
In case anyone is interested, my 2 litre diesel 508 SW had 155,000 miles on the clock when I bought it at three years old. It has let me down spectacularly but I don't think that an intrinsic fault, just bad luck.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I don't know how much the diesel 308 is up for sale at but it sounds like it might be a good buy. Is it the estate (SW) or saloon? What level of trim (Active, Allure, GTi, etc) is it?

Going slightly off-topic here, a question or two about your 508. Do you know if the Eolys was refilled in that mileage? Did the DPF need cleaning out? And, finally, what catastrophe befell it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
It’s an Allure spec hatchback on at £10608, it has the LED headlights as well.
My 508 said STOP it big red letters on the dashboard while I was on the M40, so I did. It turned out to be fuel rail failure, It seems that the solenoid that opens the fuel valve had failed which is consistent with the car rolling to a stop, i.e. no fuel getting to the engine. The nearest garage replaced the fuel rail, there’s no option to replace the solenoid but also detected a fault with the turbo. Still the car was running and I got home to my regular garage. That problem was a leaking turbo seal, which in turn allowed oil into the DPF, which in turn started complaining in the week while I was tootling around at home and before the garage could take the car in. So the turbo was reconditioned, DPF cleaned and everything put back together. The Eolysis fluid was topped up and counter reset.
The service printout that came with the car has Adblue And DEF at 103000 and I assume this to be a clerical error and typo by Truscott’s of Barnstable. The car doesn’t do Adblue!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I've read in a few places where it says I should put "Good Diesel" into my 308 SW. So basically stuff from Shell rather than Tesco. Is that actually true?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have my doubts but others swear by premium fuel. It's been decades (when someone else was paying for my fuel!) since I put premium fuel into my vehicles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know a guy who knows a guy that delivers fuel tankers to and from petrol stations and according to them, it's the exact same stuff coming from the same place

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I have my doubts but others swear by premium fuel. It's been decades (when someone else was paying for my fuel!) since I put premium fuel into my vehicles.
Where do you get premium fuel? Is it just a situation of anywhere except supermarket petrol stations?

·
Registered
978 Posts
First of all you have to distinguish between branded fuel (Shell, Esso, etc) and supermarket own brand. I don't believe there to be any significant difference except the price.

Then there's the premium fuel that some of the brands offer. Shell V-Power, Esso Synergy Supreme, Texaco Supreme Diesel (and unleaded), etc. These do contain extra additives which offer better cleaning of injectors, possibly a higher cetane rating and other claims. They also cost more but as I said some people swear by them. Personally, I don't think they're worth the extra if your vehicle is running OK.

If the fuel dispenser offer a premium fuel then will also have the standard fuel available as well. Not every fuel pump will offer the premium alternative.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello all,
We picked up a 1.5 litre Diesel automatic yesterday, 26,000 miles on the clock on an 18 plate so it has almost certainly done lots of motorway miles. It’s in a nice dark blue, almost purple.
There’s one Peugeot service stamp and it will be due for another one in May. Does anyone know the service interval for the cambelt? The service booklet doesn’t seem to give one.
Incidentally, mobile the car is still under the manufacturer’s warranty, that warranty is only valid while the car is driven in an EU country or a few others. So come 31st January the warranty will automatically expire, at least it will according to the small print.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Incidentally, mobile the car is still under the manufacturer’s warranty, that warranty is only valid while the car is driven in an EU country or a few others. So come 31st January the warranty will automatically expire, at least it will according to the small print.
I don't think that would stand up in court, if Peugeot tried it on. But you should write to Peugeot Customer Service, asking them to confirm that it will apply in UK, irrespective of EU membership.

They could not afford the bad publicity arising from a refusal.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Great Britain will still be a part of Europe after brexit!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't think that would stand up in court, if Peugeot tried it on. But you should write to Peugeot Customer Service, asking them to confirm that it will apply in UK, irrespective of EU membership.

They could not afford the bad publicity arising from a refusal.
Yes, I posted a slightly more detailed note on the General thread in which I said exactly what you said about the negative publicity.

(By the way: “mobile” should be “while”, a combination of a typo and auto correct going unnoticed.”

61 - 77 of 77 Posts