Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Me and my GF is travelling 500km this evening to probably buy a 308 SW we've found at a reasonable price.

It's done 100k miles since 2009 so been driven quite a lot.

Any suggestions to what I should be looking for when it comes to possible faults on this car?

Kristian

C

·
0 Posts
If it a petrol engined version with that mileage I wouldn't touch it.

If its a diesel than the motor itself if probably fine if properly maintained, but its at the mileage where the DMF and DPF are liable to cause problems - if it's not yet had me ones then make sure its priced to account for it as that's £2500 of work if they need doing, which'll wipe out any saving made on buying a high miler.

If it's an HDi it's essential it has had the proper low saps 5w/30 oil throughout.

And check the boots - if its on Wing Wang Noo Song budget rubber then it's highly unlikely the rest of the car has enjoyed no-expense-spared maintenance.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has dealer stamps in the handbook, and DMF and cambelt were recently done for a few months ago.

It's a 1.6 HDi 110bhp though, so probably not as bulletproof as the 2.0 HDi in my 407.

I was thinking more if there's anything model specific to look out for, apart from engine and the regular ball-joints and bushes etc. in the suspension.

C

·
0 Posts
Provided servicing hasn't been skimped - and it sounds good so far - then they're pretty tough units, as good as their big brother.

It sounds encouraging. Provided the price reflects the almost inevitable DPF problems it's going to develop in the next 10-20k miles then it could be a winner.

Fit of the front doors can be poor, so check that. I'm not a 207 fan and sold mine after only 7k miles cos I didn't like it, so I'm not so up to date on what can crop up with age but Oirish Dave will know.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reasonable price is something else over here than in UK though :)
Asking price is 110k £, a new one costs 340k £.

Yes. The DPF will need attention, but as long as eloys is topped up and glow plugs in healthy condition I suppose it could work very well.

C

·
0 Posts
Sorry, mindfart! Its a 308, so ignore my ranting about the doors. Loved my 308, great car.

DPF will work well until it's full. If you're lucky it'll respond to a clean, eoyls refill and a counter reset, but if you can't do it yourself that's money in someone else hand. Might be an idea to remove the dpf.now and have it deleted from the ECU - cheaper to do the now, than try and fix it when it starts acting up, which without a shadow of doubt it will.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think we'll buy it if we don't find anything really wrong with it.

DPF I certainly can fix myself to some extent at least. Engine out job on the 407 was performed twice the first months I had it :)

C

·
0 Posts
No worries then, should be a snap.

Good luck, hope the journeys worth it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought it.

It's had a bash on the left front sill that the guy didn't mention on the phone, but after travelling 500km's it wasn't really an option not to take it anyway.

Got parking sensors and bluetooth so ok enough equipped, just missing navigation though :)

The 1.6 HDi engine seem to be so much quieter than the 2.0 HDi 136 in my 407 btw :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts