Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm looking at 206 HDIs and went to view one the other night. It's a 115k car, in nigh-on perfect cosmetic condition, but there were two things that put me off:

- in 2nd and 3rd the gearbox sounded a little rattly
- accelerating moderately or hard from low revs made a nasty resonance noise from the engine(/bay)

Has anyone experienced either of these symptoms? Is the gearbox noise characteristc or symptomatic of a problem? I presume the engine resonance would be an engine mount rubber on the way out - how hard are these to change?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Kind regards,
CHris Wood

·
Registered
862 Posts
cjwood555 said:
Hi there,

I'm looking at 206 HDIs and went to view one the other night. It's a 115k car, in nigh-on perfect cosmetic condition, but there were two things that put me off:

- in 2nd and 3rd the gearbox sounded a little rattly
- accelerating moderately or hard from low revs made a nasty resonance noise from the engine(/bay)

Has anyone experienced either of these symptoms? Is the gearbox noise characteristc or symptomatic of a problem? I presume the engine resonance would be an engine mount rubber on the way out - how hard are these to change?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Kind regards,
CHris Wood
Hi and welcome to the forum :yay2:

If the resonance is more of a metallic tapping that might indicate that a crankshaft pulley has broken. that would cost around £200. Make sure the cam belt has been changed peugeot recommend every 72,000 miles or 5 years but every 60-65,000 would be better. Make sure the central locking works as the 206 has been known to have problems with it e.g you luck it and it re-opens itself immediatley.Make sure that the engine management light comes on with the rest of the dash lights but goes out soon after the engine starts. the stereos can be tempramental as well, losing stations,turning themselves of and staying of for a day or two. Check the hoses and belts for splits and cracks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts