Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We own a 2003 407 V6 and like it a lot. Peugeots run in my partners family and this one is great for family duties with a bit of style. But... recently the clip that holds the armrest down over the storage compartment between the front seats broke. This means the armrest is in the permanent up position unless I tape it down. Took it to our local dealer and the only solution they had was to replace the central console at a mind-numbing cost of ~$1,400!!!!! The guy confided that this was not an uncommon problem, so I wonder if there is a cheaper DIY repair anyone knows about out there in Peugeotforum land.
Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi I also had the same problem with my arm-rest as the catch was also broken. The dealer repaired this for me when I bought the car second hand, It is a straight forward fix and I would advise you not to use the dealer again that quoted that stupid amount,

My dealer replaced my arm-rest but he tried to con me with a leatherette effect arm-rest and told me it just wanted buffing up with some leather polish :confused: needless to say it looked stupid. I complained to peugeot and got a leather one and all is well ............ got there in the end.

Regards
Mark

G

·
I think the reason the dealer quoted so much is because the clip forms part of the cover for the OBDII port and isn't available on it's own - it comes only with a new port and integral loom, which requires the centre console removing to replace, which adds a fistful of labour.

Expensive part + a lot of labour = big bill.

It's not nice, but is perfectly reasonable if they're doing it by the book, and hardly stupid.

Breakers sounds like the best bet, or some velcro, or a modified magnetic kitchen cabinet catch. Fortunately the upper catch on the underside of the armrest is cheaper, though still not pennies.

BTW, how did you end up with a 2003 407 when production didn't begin until well into 2004?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was quoted $1200 for the armrest for the 308. Found some OEM armrests for USD190, and circa 45 pound sterling. Also heard that this should be covered under warranty - but cannot find the infoflash number?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Busted clip for armrest in 407

My body repair shop techie leaned on the rest and "ping" the clip broke. Whilst he was willing to buy a complete replacement he suggested the following repair would give a stronger result which I accepted. He drilled a small hole in the broken stump and inserted a self tapper. He then filed two flats on the screw to shape it like the original and mixed a little resin to finish the job. This is far stronger than the original and has lasted me for years now without problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.