Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Had my car for a week and I notice that I get a fairly frequent whiff of burnt wood smell in the cabin. This only happens when driving along and not when parked (at least I haven't noticed) and it doesn't seem like exhaust fumes.

Before I bought the car, it passed it MOT so I guess any exhaust system leaks would have been identified, right?

Someone mentioned it might be the brakes - as they are brand new. I have covered about 500 miles with the new brakes, so surely they would have bedded in by now?

Any other ideas?

Cheers
CJ

·
5,027 Posts
I would take the pollen/cabin filter out first and have a look,it may have been in there since new. Its not a bad job and in under 5 minutes you'll know if it needs changing or not. Maybe even run the car a day or so without the filter see if the smell goes away.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, thanks chaps.

I also have a heater flap broken on the passenger side, so it's just blowing cold air all the time. I closed the passenger vents as well as the big vent on top and set recirc to external air. Result - no smell either on the way to work or back.

Will be tackling the heater flap this week as well as the pollen filter, so will check these out. Doesn't sound serious as it stands...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I was sorting out my heater flaps (what a stupid, stupid design), I had easy access to the pollen filter. It was manky and skanky... and full of leaves. It's not a "carbon" one but some white one...at least it was!

Would the carbon one be the better one to get?

In the meantime I hoovered it out and put back in. We'll see what it's like.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, guys, it still does it. I noticed that it's at its strongest when driving downhill. Doesn't seem to matter whether I am braking, coasting or accelerating. Could there be some oil/fuel leak which is dripping on top of a hot exhaust, causing this smell?

Needs much warmer weather for a close up inspection!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts