Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we parked up after a run to Wokingham, about 7 miles away. Engine up to temps on the way there and on the way back up to temps again. Traffic being a little bit slow etc.

So we got home and the mrs says - I can smell a burning smell. Sure enough outside there's a smell of plastics. The car has done 700+ miles so it's the first time I've smelt this.

Opened the bonnet and sure enough there some white smoke rising from between the alternator and the DPF exhaust at the front of the engine (1.6 BlueHDi 120).

Now it doesn't seem to be coming from deeper or any of the cables around it.. but the back of the alternator is close to the DPF heat shield and it looks like the part label on the back of the alternator gets heated to the point when the plastic/paper of the label starts to smoulder.

In a way the heat from the running engine would keep the alternator electronics dry which for a S&S is vital. However putting a plastic cover and a sticker on it is possibly asking for trouble!

I'll keep an eye on it.

Good news is that the engine coolant level is good :D Also it occurred to me - it's the first time I've seen a plastic engine mount that holds the engine in place.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Good that you could Identify the cause. I wonder why manufacturer did that. Sometimes this may be dangerous too. Appreciate if you can keep us updated on the issue. Also it would be helpful if you can post a photo what is melting due to heat so that others can also keep a eye on their vehicles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good that you could Identify the cause. I wonder why manufacturer did that. Sometimes this may be dangerous too. Appreciate if you can keep us updated on the issue. Also it would be helpful if you can post a photo what is melting due to heat so that others can also keep a eye on their vehicles.
Totally agree and it's important you remain safe so therefore would recommend the car is taken to the dealer for inspection. At the end of the day if it was expected the engine was to emit white smoke they would have provided extinguishers!

·
Administrator
2,908 Posts
I had exactly the same when my Golf GTD was brand new.

It was about 600 miles from new and did it's first DPF regen and a label was the culprit due to the extreme temperature of Regen compared to normal running.

After a couple of regen's it went.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Many new items of equipment emit heat related odours and 'smoke' for a time when first used. My frying pan did just that. Generally this is just any protective coating being evaporated away and plastics can give off odours when subjected to heat long before they reach the melting point let alone the flash point. As has already been mentioned these can stop as the coatings etc are finally cleaned off. After saying that, there is nothing wrong in taking it back to the dealer and voicing your concerns and getting your concern on record. It is obviously causing you some worry. As we cannot witness it we cannot come to the same conclusion and it would be in your interest to raise this with the dealer just to be on the safe side. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing and you can get on with enjoying the car - preferably without the odours. :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many new items of equipment emit heat related odours and 'smoke' for a time when first used. My frying pan did just that. Generally this is just any protective coating being evaporated away and plastics can give off odours when subjected to heat long before they reach the melting point let alone the flash point. As has already been mentioned these can stop as the coatings etc are finally cleaned off. After saying that, there is nothing wrong in taking it back to the dealer and voicing your concerns and getting your concern on record. It is obviously causing you some worry. As we cannot witness it we cannot come to the same conclusion and it would be in your interest to raise this with the dealer just to be on the safe side. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing and you can get on with enjoying the car - preferably without the odours. :)
Indeed :) The smoke stopped after the car had cooled sufficiently..

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Many new items of equipment emit heat related odours and 'smoke' for a time when first used. My frying pan did just that.
Did you take the wrapper off? :D

Joking aside, it's probably as Storeman said and whatever is on the surface, whether it be a coating, label or contaminants, is probably just burning off.

It's no different to when you've spilled a bit of oil around the exhaust and it begins to smoke. Or when you plug an electric heater in for the first time in months.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
So we parked up after a run to Wokingham, about 7 miles away. Engine up to temps on the way there and on the way back up to temps again. Traffic being a little bit slow etc.

So we got home and the mrs says - I can smell a burning smell. Sure enough outside there's a smell of plastics. The car has done 700+ miles so it's the first time I've smelt this.

Opened the bonnet and sure enough there some white smoke rising from between the alternator and the DPF exhaust at the front of the engine (1.6 BlueHDi 120).

Now it doesn't seem to be coming from deeper or any of the cables around it.. but the back of the alternator is close to the DPF heat shield and it looks like the part label on the back of the alternator gets heated to the point when the plastic/paper of the label starts to smoulder.

In a way the heat from the running engine would keep the alternator electronics dry which for a S&S is vital. However putting a plastic cover and a sticker on it is possibly asking for trouble!

I'll keep an eye on it.

Good news is that the engine coolant level is good :D Also it occurred to me - it's the first time I've seen a plastic engine mount that holds the engine in place.
4 Mile trip into town yesterday evening, when I parked and got out of the car I noticed a hot plastic (not burning) smell coming from the bonnet. I meant to check when I got back home but forgot, probably because there was no smell. I'll check when I go out again today and look under the bonnet if the same thing happens.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can see it here - I couldn't see it when replaying on the phone but now on the laptop I can on the video:

https://youtu.be/HUG7_geLj4k
Thanks for the video. Did you checked it with the dealer? If so what did they say? I have seen similar smoke coming from my engine after engine clean ups and services due to spilling of oil drops and coolent drops.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My GT now has 3300 miles on the clock. For the first time since having the car from new, and only on the afternoon return journey (now on two consecutive days running), I am getting a very strong electrical burning smell from the bonnet area when I've got home and parked up.

Nothing on the early morning drive, when the ambient temperature has been only 2 degrees. Drive home was about 9 degrees.

I suspect a DPF regeneration, but it is a particularly strong smell. More so than my previous C4 Grand Picasso, which used to just click underneath the car.

Opening the bonnet, the whole bonnet area felt extremely hot. It is concerning me, as thoughts of something igniting worries me. Coolant level looked fine.

My journey is 15 miles each way and a good mix of fast and country roads.

The stop start has been fully operational on every single stop during morning and afternoon drives, so I'm really not sure it's DPF?

Was there any conclusion from the previous posts?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not had any further smells. I suspect that the DPF regen which uses much higher temps caused the label on the back of the alternator to melt/burn off.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Decided to divert off my normal route and exercise the car on a fast 60mph road for a constant 15 miles.

After the 'Italian tune up', things have settled down, with no more smells, so I do suspect a DPF regeneration in progress, which has now completed. Perhaps with all the under car covers, stickers etc. this was the smell of everything getting hot.

I do wish manufacturers would fit an indicator light for the driver, so I would know when DPF is in progress. This would ensure I then do a small diversion to finish the process off.

On my old C4 Picasso, you could fit an LED light to the door mirrors, as during a DPF, the heated door mirrors would come on, to load the engine. You couldn't tell as the heated mirror switch wouldn't light, but the actual mirrors would be hot!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting - only yesterday when out and about - I stopped the car and there was a very strong "burning rubber" smell. I then drove about 1 mile more - parked the car up and there was no smell. My vehicle is around 3000 miles. There was a similar smell a few weeks back - wonder if it was the DPF.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had the smell first day i had the car i was pretty sure mine was because its new 400 miles later no smell......so far
The petrol doesn't have to regen a DPF.. however in a few years that may be the case if the emissions limits are dropping further..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all from Turkey,

4 Mile trip into town yesterday evening, when I parked and got out of the car I noticed a hot plastic (not burning) smell coming from the bonnet. I meant to check when I got back home but forgot, probably because there was no smell. I'll check when I go out again today and look under the bonnet if the same thing happens.
I bought 3008 1.6 diesel eat and it has been 1000 km just now and I smell same burnt plastic scent and it was a white smoke at the very end of the engine close to the front glass and it was a cold rainy day then smell diasppeared and yesterday it came again.
In Turkey no body seems to face such issue and while I was googling i saw this forum, so the issue that i faced look similar as yours but smoke is coming from back side of the engine what issue could it be ? (the seller checked the call however they find nothing)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hello,

Perhaps it has to do with this?

1PP8-B1GW012MQ0-Information _ Temporary discharge of water vapour, white smoke without odour coming from the grille and under the bonnet

The problem is that this TSB does not include any smell like you mention.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.