Peugeot Forums banner

Burned cables dead car?

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Old Pug 
#1 ·
Hi!
I'm new here and I might not know the English terms for everything but I will try :).

I have a Peugeot 206 GTI from 2002/2003 and this week when I was going to use it it was already dead.
Opened it with the key and was hit by a electric burning smell.
I found that one of the fuses was burned, according to the book it is number 9 with the comment "Signal + after ignition for intelligent control box"(not sure if that is the English for it)

Behind the fuse box I could find a big amount of cables connected in one place that was burned and the plastic a bit melted in the connector. I', unable to remove the connector now.

Images

I haven't been able to find the source to where these cables are connected to and if there is any damage to those parts as well, it would seem that the cables themselves is fine except close to the connector.
If it turn on the power most of the lights are coming on. Things that do not work is the door windows and rear windscreen wiper, but I haven't tried to turn the car on yet.

Any suggestions on what else to do?
All suggestions and comments are welcome, I wish this was just something mechanical since it is easier to fix :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I think if this is repairable it's a job for an auto electrician. The fact that the plug has melted is unusual but plugs can get very hot if there is poor connection and a high current drain.

When you say the plug will not come out is the red lock that normally needs to be pushed out jammed?

I tried to look at the wiring diagrams for your car but I not sure which set to look at. If the fuse the blown fuse a 30A fuse? A photo of the fuses would also help.

Can you provide some more details on your car RPO number number of door and engine details?

#4 · (Edited)
I think if this is repairable it's a job for an auto electrician. The fact that the plug has melted is unusual but plugs can get very hot if there is poor connection and a high current drain.

When you say the plug will not come out is the red lock that normally needs to be pushed out jammed?

I tried to look at the wiring diagrams for your car but I not sure which set to look at. If the fuse the blown fuse a 30A fuse? A photo of the fuses would also help.

Can you provide some more details on your car RPO number number of door and engine details?
I disconnected the battery already but good that you pointed it out :)

Thank you for your response.

I added some images of the fuse that got burned it is a 5 A.

Also I'm sure that the rpo number is in this picture but I'm unsure which one (I'm guessing 905588?)

The car have 3 doors and the engine is manual 2.0 136hp
if that helps. I looked at the red lock but I was unable to make it move

#3 ·
Any suggestions on what else to do?
All suggestions and comments are welcome, I wish this was just something mechanical since it is easier to fix :)
One important thing I forgot. For safety - after that level of electrical damage if you haven't already done so you should disconnect the battery.

If some electrical items are still working you should open the bonnet. Leave a window open (or if not possible a car door) for access. Then wait at least 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery.

#5 ·
As Ian has already said, this is a job for a very competent auto electrician. Its a safety issue, the cause of it must be established, all the damage made good, it must be done properly.. You may find that this has also damaged the ECU and or the BSI ? Its going to be expensive, why not check your insurance policy, it may be covered under the fire clause?

#6 ·
Hmm yeah I've had those thoughts as well. I mean the car is probably only worth about $1000-$1500 so might not even be worth looking at repairs?

Good idea I will call my insurance company on Monday and ask them.

This just seems like such a sad way for the car to die, I didn't even use it while it happened :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.