Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be picking up the new (to me) accident damaged 407 SW tomorrow - one of the damaged parts is a headlamp so I already need to buy half a set of front bulbs, one H1 for dipped, one H7 for the main beam - one 581 for the indicator and a 501 for the sidelight.

As I have to buy some anyway, was wondering if anyone had any opinions on brighter, whiter bulbs. I don't want blue tinted stuff - it looks cheesy and boy-racerish not to mention blue light does a lousy job of actually lighting up the road, but I would like to avoid the yellow yellow of budget bulbs. Sure there are dozens of cheap "HID Look" bulbs on ebay but I was hoping for some educated opinions on what GOOD whiter bulbs are out there and what you guys recommend.

Oh please don't suggest the HID conversion kits - I want my car to pass an MOT :p

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those look promising - right balance between not cheap and not "HOW MUCH!!!!" heh - free 501s wont go amiss either - can stick the second pair in the number plate lights....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kinda like the idea of them NOT having BLUE in the title - I know bluish lights look pretty good on black cars (the 407 I'm buying is black) but I personally dont like 'em...

Will have to have a look at those OSRAM units...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm leaning towards Osram Nightbreaker bulbs at the moment, mainly based on the group test here at AutoExpress

Even though I wanted to avoid BLUE blue, these seem to be pretty yellow at 3500k ish - be nice if I could get these but a little whiter

The other question is standard or plus - Most of my driving is in towns - not a lot of unlit country roads so idn if I need the super bright plus units or not...

Finally, thinking of cheap main beams and expensive dipped - can't remember the last time I actually needed to use my main beams for anything more than letting someone know they can pull out or that theyve annoyed me lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went with Philips bulbs in the end - I did consider the ring one but I've read that while they're great if you get good ones, the quality of them tends to vary and with my luck.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
after replacing my headlight bulbs several times due to regular failures i have fitted 4300k hids to 407 (both dip and main beam) and they are a vast improvement in both brightness and durability (over a year and a half with out failure) over the night breakers i had fitted before.
what's good about them is that they produce light quite close to day light (white with a very slight hint of yellow) and they really reduce fatigue when driving long distances at night.

i know they aren't entirely legal but i've had no problems with mot's or the police, and the beam pattern remains very tight.
if you remember to adjust the lights when you have a car full or load stuff in the back, (as you should anyway with the halogens) you won't dazzle anyone more than halogens unless of corse you have your mains on...

D

·
0 Posts
Nightbreakers have a very poor lifespan alright. I had them and one was blown after a month. Swopped them out for Philips bulbs. Wouldn't go back. They're great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts