Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new to this site and new to a 407 2.0HDi SE purchased yesterday privately. I have come across an annoying fault and wondered can any of you chaps help me out. Internittantly not every time but mostly when I depress the brake I receive a bulb failure warning "Indictator Bulb faulty" Indicator when pressing the brake? Also when I indicate right I intermeittantly not every time but mostly receive a Rear right brake lamp faulty" message. A indicator fault when pressing the brake and a brake bulb fault when using the right indicator Any ideas its driving me daft?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bulb Failure Warnings

To help you out Ive been into Peugeot today and asked the question have they any ideas on my bulb warning message fault. They spoke to a mechanic who said hes seen a similar fault quite recently someone had installed / replaced a bulb with a twin filament bulb not a single filament. This was casuing a few problems as was shorting out some circuits on the light unit.
They also said it could be a faulty indicator module on the steering column. When priced at Peugeot I nearly fell off my chair £200-£500

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trem1 you have done it again an answer to my problem. Ive made a copy of the mod and will attempt a repair this weekend. Fingers crossed it should work. For information I called into an Auto Electricians on the way home today before listing the Thread and he said "it sounds like a bad earth" clever bugger but on the right track all the same. Thanks again Trem 1

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys here goes its Good Friday and the job for today is to attempt a modification to the rear light clusters main earthing connection. This should eliminate the annoying Bulb Failure Warning Im getting every time I push the brake pedal or indicate right. Thanks Trem1 for the advice and link to the very detailed tutorial on how to tackle this procedure. Its quite simple really and should take no longer than an hour or so. If anyone is receiving the same problem with Bulb Warning messages I have saved the tutorial pdf and will gladly forward via email the instructions. Happy to be of help!:thumb:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bulb Failure Warnings

Update - So before lunch today I attempted the modification to stop Bulb Failure Warning messages. I found it alot easier to unbolt both rear lamp clusters and remove from the car before stripping the lamp holders and attempt a repair. As the tutorial stated everything went well except for the last part removing a connector from the existing plug. They both didnt want to release they were stuck in there good and proper therefore instead of removing the connector I snipped the wires and taped them up. With the Light clusters refitted I then proceeded to connect the new earth wire to the factory earthing point at the back of the car beneath the lamp clusters.
A fiddly operation as there isnt much room on the drivers side earth stud the passenger side was much easier. With the help of an assistant (A la Haynes) we carried out a bulb check.
Sidelight Lamps checked out ok both illuminated
Brake Lamps checked out both illuminated
Indicator Lamps checked out both illuminated (Hazards & Ind Stalk Switch)
Fog Lamps checked out both illuminated
Reversing Lamps checked out both illuminated
However when I started the car I received 2 error messages Fog Lamp Faulty & Sidelights Faulty both errors cleared within seconds and did not return.
I then restarted the car to check the circuits again received another message Reversing Lights Faulty, again this message cleared quickly.
So a third attempt to start the car this time no error messages were received.
I may be guessing but I hope that the messages might have been old stored messages in the car and now that the earthing has been restored correctly and the fault messages have been acknowledged that I will not receive any more faults. Keeping an eye out on this one or it still could be a bad earth.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Bulb Failure Warnings

Forgot to say took the 407 on a road test to test brakes and indicators for fault messages.
They both work fine with no reoccurance of the message fault when indicating or braking.
Success at last!
Im just going to keep an eye on the other messages might have to try a different type of crimp connector for the earth stud felt a tad flimsy

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day 3 of ownership of my 407 and Day 2 after the Earthing modification no further messages being received looks like it may be a successful modification. :p

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just like to say that I had the same problem and found that when I opened the connector from the plug ( a very fiddley job I will admit) there was a lot of corrosion on the pins in the connector.
When I removed this with a small file and some sandpaper and put a very small bit of copper grease onto the pins, the problem went away and hasn't reappeared in the last few months.
Hope this helps and might save someone the bother of ripping the light assembly apart.

G

·
Use dielectric grease. Copper grease can cause electrical shorts, and it can also cause electrolytic corrosion when used on metals other than steel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
04 1.6hdi 110bhp 407 saloon, timing belt went at 78K. I was told by Pugeot that they have a 90K or 5yr warrenty so as my car was 6yrs old I was basically told to "f**k off and stop bothering us"
Had the engine decapitated today, waiting to see what damage is done.

G

·
Does yours have a full dealer history? I've known them repair cambelt damage well out of warranty, provided its inside the replacement mileage/period and it has a full histroy.

If it hasn't a dealer history they'll tell you to ferk off. They won't show goodwill to punters that havenakt shonpwn them any (a bit like VeeDub with their current ABS pump fiasco).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newspaperman said:
Ok guys here goes its Good Friday and the job for today is to attempt a modification to the rear light clusters main earthing connection. This should eliminate the annoying Bulb Failure Warning Im getting every time I push the brake pedal or indicate right. Thanks Trem1 for the advice and link to the very detailed tutorial on how to tackle this procedure. Its quite simple really and should take no longer than an hour or so. If anyone is receiving the same problem with Bulb Warning messages I have saved the tutorial pdf and will gladly forward via email the instructions. Happy to be of help!:thumb:
Can you please email me the PDF, many thanks. Email is [email protected]

Cheers
Eric

·
5,112 Posts
1 - 20 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.