Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the forum and I really hope someone can help me with this problem...

The BSI in my 307 suddenly failed a few weeks ago. The car could not be started even after several attempts of BSI reset. The side lights would come on at ignition. Indicator lights, electric windows, stereo, windscreen wash all failed to work. At this point, I decided to send the BSI away for repair. From the diagnostic test, it was found that the program had been corrupted, and a fuse blown. The BSI was then returned to me repaired and virginised. After sitting on this job for a while, I eventually got round to refitting and recoding the unit yesterday, with the transponder kindly provided by bettyswollocks. The car then worked for 24 hours before the same fault reoccurring once more.

I am now re-sending the BSI back to the repair shop once again, and hopefully it will be fixed permanently this time. But obviously I am worried that the fault may come back without any warning. So I am wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences. Any advice will be most appreciated.

Also is it possible that something else within the vehicle could cause the corruption of the program? i.e. that the BSI fault is a result of some other problem?

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hi,

I am new to the forum and I really hope someone can help me with this problem...

The BSI in my 307 suddenly failed a few weeks ago. The car could not be started even after several attempts of BSI reset. The side lights would come on at ignition. Indicator lights, electric windows, stereo, windscreen wash all failed to work. At this point, I decided to send the BSI away for repair. From the diagnostic test, it was found that the program had been corrupted, and a fuse blown. The BSI was then returned to me repaired and virginised. After sitting on this job for a while, I eventually got round to refitting and recoding the unit yesterday, with the transponder kindly provided by bettyswollocks. The car then worked for 24 hours before the same fault reoccurring once more.

I am now re-sending the BSI back to the repair shop once again, and hopefully it will be fixed permanently this time. But obviously I am worried that the fault may come back without any warning. So I am wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences. Any advice will be most appreciated.

Also is it possible that something else within the vehicle could cause the corruption of the program? i.e. that the BSI fault is a result of some other problem?

Thank you all in advance.
check your battery and alternator
out of curiosity how much did you pay to get your bsi done (i can fix them and might of been able to do it a lot cheaper)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi trustme,

Thanks for the reply. The battery was replaced a couple of years ago, so the alternator (and/or belt) may be more problematic. Though I have not noticed any belt slippage noise recently. If I were to look into the alternator, how do I go about checking it? I have a Haynes manual at home, which I will look into later.

The BSI was repaired by BBA Reman. I recall the charge was 130 + vat & carriage. Probably a bit more expensive, though it is under life time warranty; so no more cost for any further repair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery now reads 12.61 volts (on 28/10/15). The car was left on the drive for about 1 month when the fault first occurred. When I eventually refitted the BSI on Monday this week (26/10/15), I delibrately took the battery off for an overnoght charge beforehand. Then 24 hours later, on Tuesday lunchtime the BSI failed again (27/10/15).

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Battery now reads 12.61 volts (on 28/10/15). The car was left on the drive for about 1 month when the fault first occurred. When I eventually refitted the BSI on Monday this week (26/10/15), I delibrately took the battery off for an overnoght charge beforehand. Then 24 hours later, on Tuesday lunchtime the BSI failed again (27/10/15).
have you charged the battery since the bsi failed again, it sounds like the first time the battery went flat is what casued the problems with your bsi

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I only charged the battery after the first failure, just before refitting the BSI earlier this week. After the BSI failed for a second time yesterday, the car has been left untouched (apart from removal of the BSI). So with the voltage reading from today, the battery does not appear to have cause the second failure (at least).

The only reason for charging the battery earlier this week was to make sure the BSI has sufficient voltage during refitting/recoding. Also When the car failed the first time round, I had tried turning over the engine several times, which could have potentially drained the battery.

I was wondering if the BSI can be corrupted through overvoltage. i.e. if the alternator was faulty, causing the battery voltage to be too high?

When I got the car working on Monday I did not drive it very far (just around the housing estate). The second failure occurred on Tuesday after I drove it for 5 miles to work. The car is now stuck in the office carpark.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
No, I only charged the battery after the first failure, just before refitting the BSI earlier this week. After the BSI failed for a second time yesterday, the car has been left untouched (apart from removal of the BSI). So with the voltage reading from today, the battery does not appear to have cause the second failure (at least).

The only reason for charging the battery earlier this week was to make sure the BSI has sufficient voltage during refitting/recoding. Also When the car failed the first time round, I had tried turning over the engine several times, which could have potentially drained the battery.

I was wondering if the BSI can be corrupted through overvoltage. i.e. if the alternator was faulty, causing the battery voltage to be too high?

When I got the car working on Monday I did not drive it very far (just around the housing estate). The second failure occurred on Tuesday after I drove it for 5 miles to work. The car is now stuck in the office carpark.
yes over voltage could cause problems, what was the symptoms the second time round

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After getting the BSI refitted and recoded on Monday, I then drove the car into work on Tuesday, with the glovebox and other interior trimming yet to be refitted. On the way to work, I also stopped briefly in a local supermarket. Thankfully the failure did not occur while in the supermarket car park. Then during my lunchbreak, I went to put the interior back together (so remote locking worked at the time). Afterwards, I was trying to put my toolkit in the boot, but the boot door would not open. I then tried turning on the ignition, and the engine failed to start. Other electrics such as windows, wipers, and indicators also failed to work.

I then asked a colleague to sit inside the car and attempted the BSI reset procedure 3 times. The engine still would not start.

Finally I contacted BBA Reman and discussed the problem. The carrier has only just picked up the unit a few minutes ago.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
After getting the BSI refitted and recoded on Monday, I then drove the car into work on Tuesday, with the glovebox and other interior trimming yet to be refitted. On the way to work, I also stopped briefly in a local supermarket. Thankfully the failure did not occur while in the supermarket car park. Then during my lunchbreak, I went to put the interior back together (so remote locking worked at the time). Afterwards, I was trying to put my toolkit in the boot, but the boot door would not open. I then tried turning on the ignition, and the engine failed to start. Other electrics such as windows, wipers, and indicators also failed to work.

I then asked a colleague to sit inside the car and attempted the BSI reset procedure 3 times. The engine still would not start.

Finally I contacted BBA Reman and discussed the problem. The carrier has only just picked up the unit a few minutes ago.
did they say what fuse was blown in the bsi

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I was only informed of the blown fuse when I called up yesterday. They just said the fuse was replaced and the software reloaded from the first repair.

I guess I should find out which fuse. This may be a clue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. BBA Reman has just informed me that Fuse "F11" was blown from the first fault. This is a 20 Amp fuse if it helps.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
F11 15 A Diagnostic socket, low current ignition switch, particle emission filter unit.

if someone has put a 20a in there and it is blowing then this can cause problems as the size of the fuse is to protect the electrics

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I wondered about that. When I looked up the Haynes manual, F11 is supposed to be 15Amps. Though the 20Amps fuse has been in the car since I bought it 5 years ago. So it has never blown over this time.

I will change this to 15Amps when it is returned from BBA Reman.

With the first fault that resulted in destruction of the 20Amps fuse, could this then corrupt the BSI program, or would it just damage some of the electronic hardware?

·
5,863 Posts
There was a tech bulletin from PSA for some models where the fuse feeding the starter solenoid (via ign switch) was uprated from 15 to 20 amp as it was popping with a hot starter motor due to higher current draw when starter starts to age

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi windy1603,

That's interersting. I think I will change it back to a 15Amps fuse when the unit is returned. Then if this blows, I can always go back to a 20Amps fuse.

Also, I changed the starter motor about 3 years ago. The replacement is more powerful than the orignial. So a 15Amps fuse may blow for this reason too.

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
more powerful starter will not draw more current from the 15 amp fuse it will draw more current directly from the battery.

The circuit connected to the 15 amp fuse is the solenoid on the starter it only triggers the main current it does not carry it the starter will draw 150 amps when starting :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts